Current model vs. originally released June 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by manito2000, Jul 16, 2014.

1. manito2000 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I'm a pastor and need some advice. Money is a bit tight and it seems like the Originally released June 2012 Macbook Air REFURBISHED - would be a great savings (see specs below). I'm just wondering whether I should save up for a couple more months and get the current model.

I would mainly be using mine for sermons, LOGOS (bible study/sermon prep software), podcasting, some family video editing (nothing fancy :) )...

What would you recommend...? Wait or take the plunge?

Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Originally released October 2012
    4GB memory

1TB hard drive
    Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
    HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

2. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

That's a Mac Mini you pasted, not an Air. I wish the Air came with 1tb harddrive :)

Don't see a 2012 in the refurb, but I'd go for the 2013 for the battery life alone. It lasts me forever.

3. simsaladimbamba

The specs you listed are for a Mac mini, but your thread talks about the MacBook Air and this thread is in the MacBook Air subforum.

For your stated needs, the Mac mini you listed will be fine, though you might want to upgrade it to 8 GB by yourself with third party 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM for less than what Apple wants.
    And an SSD will make your experience much more enjoyable.

4. manito2000 thread starter macrumors member

:)

I'm a doofus...

you are right...here's the right specs:

Refurbished 11.6-inch MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Originally released June 2012
    11.6-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1366-by-768 resolution
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

5. simsaladimbamba

Even that MacBook Air will do fine, though 8 GB RAM might help a bit if you have a lot of applications open at the same time to switch between them, but even with 4 GB you will suffice, though you cannot upgrade after you have bought it due to the RAM being soldered onto the logic board.

Btw, the Mac mini would be a much more powerful machine, any reasons it has to be a MacBook Air?

6. Boyd01, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

At $679 these seem like a good value to me - was looking at one just the other day for a family member:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macBook-Air-17ghz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

I think it would be fine for the use you describe. The main difference you would notice in the new model is better battery life. Apple says about 5 hours on the 2012 model vs 9 hours on the current model. If you need all-day battery life then the new machines are worth it, otherwise I think you'd be happy with the 2012.

In terms of processing power, either MacBook Air should be more than enough. I had a 2011 MacBook Air with the i5 processor and 4gb memory. It ran software like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro fine. I now have a 2013 MacBook Air with the i7 processor and 8gb memory. It renders video faster and shows less latency in Logic Pro. Aside from that, they are very similar.

I also have a base model current Mac Mini, and it's a great machine for other reasons (like additional ports to plug things into, upgradeable RAM and disk). Aside from that, I would not agree that it's a more powerful machine. The solid state disk in the Macbook Air will run circles around the stock drive in the Mini. And once you add a monitor and keyboard, it will cost at least as much as the MacBook Air. You could add a solid state disk to the mini, but that will raise the cost even more. Refurbed Mini's go for $509.

7. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I would rather get the 2013 model. With the same specs it is only $40 more but you get almost double the battery life!
    (none available in the refurb shop at the moment though, only the 256GB model which costs 869)

8. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Go for the 2013 model, the battery life is stunning!
    I have the mid 12 model and I only have 5 hours of battery life. Is enough for me and I was happy when I bought it the very first week it hit the shelves, but of course if I had to buy a new model today I'd chose the new Air.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

An excellent model even compared to the newest Macbook Air. But you will most likely be cutting it a bit short regarding movie editing, depending on your needs of course. I would recommend 8GB RAM for that, and preferably more harddrive, although that could be supplemented with an external drive. Also, you'll not have much fun doing video editing on a 11" screen. But it really comes down to how much "nothing fancy" is, and how much patience you have.

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The 2012 model you've referred to is more than enough for your needs. If you are going to need to go more than 5 hours away from an outlet, then the 2013 model would provide almost double the battery life. The other benefit of the 2013 model is the fact that the storage is PCIe vs a SATA SSD. It will help with the overall speed, but not worth a ton of money in difference.

If you can find a 2013 for no more than 50-100 dollars more, I would go with it. However, if battery life is not that important, and saving money is, the 2012 will be a great choice.

If I understand your usage correctly, the extent of your video editing will be things like children's birthdays or baptisms, things that will be for you and your family for memories sake, and nothing professional. If that's the case, the 4GB of ram will be more than enough for you.

I have 4GB of ram and am comfortable easily doing what you will be doing plus more. Don't let others on this forum spend your hard earned money for you by insisting on upgrades that you will never benefit from. Sounds like you've done your homework and realize that refurb and base model is the best option for your needs:)