Current, non-iPhone, at&t customers can have civil conversations here.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyclone84, Jun 20, 2008.

1. cyclone84 macrumors regular

note: I posted this in another thread but it got buried in a bunch of useless arguing about at&t trying to screw people, burn their homes, steal their babies, etc. If you choose to partake in a discussion about those things, please find a different thread. This one is for anybody who has useful and factual comments.

Now, for anyone who is in the same boat as me...

a) under contract with at&t
    b) bought the iPhone last year
    c) sold it a few weeks ago (to pay for the new one)
    d) downgraded to standard voice plan (dropped the iPhone data portion)

I just spoke with at&t on the phone and she reassured me that I am eligible for the $199 or $299 pricing scheme. I even had her double check with a manager (who confirmed it) and had her note the account with our conversation details.

Please do not take this as the truth, it is simply my scenario. I've been with at&t for over a year, have decent to good credit, and have made my payments on time for the duration. It seems to be up to at&t to decide whether or not to allow you to be eligible on a case by case basis. This can be a good thing because it can give you some wiggle room and the ability to argue your case to at&t. If that CSR is unwilling, simply move on to the next. This isn't a cut and dry, one size fits all plan anymore, you just have to know how to play the game.

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

im sorta in the same boat, i had an iPhone though i didn't actiavte but unlocked it then i sold it in prepreation for the 3G iPhone. Heres my story:
    SO my parents and my brother have AT&T and they are not on a family plan. Is it possible to buy the 3G iPhones when they come out? My parents are half way through their plan (or so they say they are), but have been wanting to upgrade to a family plan. If we cancel our individual plans and get a family plan when the new iPhone comes out will i be able to buy a 3G at the reduced price? Or am i considered a customer even with a new contract?

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I wish you nothing, but the best come launch day. I'm pretty sure alot of customers have done the same thing, but the issue is going to be whether a rep is willing to locate the notes on your account while there are herd of people waiting in line.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I think its interesting that AT&T has not yet determined how they are going to deal with issues such as the above. Seems like lack of planning on their part. There is one interesting issue I would like to point out however. Another poster mentioned that, nowhere in the presentation that Steve Jobs gave, was there an indication that this was a "subsidized" phone. He announced a new low price of $199 and $299. Period. Now here's where it gets interesting. When a company advertises a product where there are restrictions or limitations, they are required by law to provide a disclaimer. Otherwise it would be "bait and switch". Jobs provided no such disclaimer. BUT was his speech at the developers conference considered public? I'm curious to see how this plays out over time.

5. cyclone84 thread starter macrumors regular

True and good point. I hope to get around this by getting the phone at the apple store and dealing with at&t on the phone when I activate through iTunes.

6. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I am not upgrade eligible.

I bought the 1st iPhone from At&t for $400 last October. I sold it in the beginning of March and wasted my upgrade status on a BlackBerry Curve. Yeah, I pay on time, my credit was good enough that they didn't want a deposit in October, and my family plan w/ unlimited texts for all phones and data for mine, costs me almost $200/mo. Doesn't matter though, I just upgraded my phone like 3 months ago...

I can accept this, I can deal with it. I don't have a problem paying a higher price for the device, as long as that higher price is reasonable. The new rumors I am reading don't look very reasonable.

Some analyst claims that At&t pays Apple $325 in subsidy. That means they are actually buying every iPhone for $524/$624 respectively. If it costs At&t $524 to buy an 8 gig iPhone from Apple, they are going to resell it for at least $600, $700 for the 16. If that is the case, they can keep the phone and shove it up their @$$.

The first gen iPhone debuted at $600 for the 8, $500 for the 4. It was a relative tank the first few weeks because it was too expensive. Apple quickly dropped the price to $400 and $300, but discontinued the 4, so the $300 went away fast. Now, we have a $400 8 gig iPhone. The 16 comes out a few months later for $500. These prices of $400/8 and $500/16 stick until they sell out completely a few weeks ago.

They are trying to tell me that 3G and GPS + lesser phone materials (plastic back) = $200 more? I don't think so. Not in 2008. (not a dig on quality, I like the plastic back and I think the thing overall looks better this time)

My biggest problem is the speculation around the "retail" price. If it is going to be $600, I can go buy a used 8 gig off Craigslist for $300, set it up on my account to become a current iPhone user, and therefore eligible to upgrade. I can then buy my 16 gig for $300, and then unlock and resell the 8 gig I just bought for $300 again. Making my total expenditure, $300...

Yeah, it's a hassle, but it will save me money.

7. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

The key appears to be whether you are under contract with AT&T for a subsidized phone. The 1st gen iPhone was not subsidized, so if that's your only phone with AT&T you can get the $199 3G. If you bought a different subsidized phone from AT&T less than 24 months ago you *may* not be eliglble to upgrade to a 3G right away. In this case, contacting AT&T as you did is the easiest way to find out if can upgrade. Good luck. :D

Based on some info here, with a $200/mo. bill AT&T will not make you wait 24 months for an upgrade (perhaps 12 months?). It apparently varies due to a top-secret AT&T formula; best bet is to call directly and ask when you can upgrade (if you haven't done so).

8. cyclone84 thread starter macrumors regular

That very well could be the case...when I sold the iPhone, I just put the SIM in an unlocked flip phone I had lying around -- I didn't turn around get a cheap, subsidized, freebie.

9. dragonslayer458 macrumors member

dragonslayer458

my conract won't be available for an upgrade untill september. i've heard both sides saying i'll have to re -up my contract for another two years to get the subsidized price and some saying i'll have to pay more for the phone than the 199/299 price. Which is true? help! I suppose i could just wait untill release date to find out. but any help would be appriciated.

10. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I have to ask why all the posters on here got an iPhone then got rid of it? I know not everyone will like the iPhone but now you want a new one? Just does not make since to me. The new one is just about the same phone so why all the sudden do you want one.. again?