Current or New iMac vs 07 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrbrycel, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mrbrycel macrumors member

I am one of the many waiting for the new iMac refresh, but I want to make sure I'm waiting for the right machine. When I bought my Mac Pro, I thought I wanted to edit for a living. I've since gone the cinematography route, so the only real editing I do now is updating my DP reel, and the occasional personal project. I'm now living back and forth between two cities, and am looking into getting an iMac for the other place. I am still satisfied with the speed of my two 2.66ghz dual-core Mac Pro, and I'm wondering if a current base model iMac with a 5 year jump in technology will equate to, or even outperform my old Mac Pro. What do you think?

I'll be running FCP 7, CS6, and a bit of RED Cine-X. I occasionally need to convert 4k or 5k .r3d files, but the speed that it is done is not an issue. I don't mind walking away for a few hours as they convert, as I've gotten used to it with my Mac Pro.

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

Geekbench-marks aren't everything, but a decent indication. I believe this is your Mac.

In which case, you can see a lower-end iMac from 2010 outperformed it. Even a 2011 MBA. So yes, the next crop of iMacs should be adequate.

Attached Files:

3. guillemn macrumors member

I still doubt that a MBA can overcome a MP in a serious and long processing. Take in count that there is the cooling system too and other thing... dont know.

4. Dnix macrumors 6502

No, probably not.

But the iMac is still pretty legit, for somebody coming from a Mac Pro. I'm planning to go back to one. Just seeing what happens with this refresh...