Current RedSn0w Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Milfin, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Milfin macrumors regular

I was planning to jailbreak my iphone 3g and pass it down to my son. If I jailbreak the phone will I need to pay for the $15 iphone data plan?

I currently have the family plan and regular AT&T iphone subscription and his phone is on the add a phone for $10 a month.

Thank you for taking time out to reply

2. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

3. Milfin thread starter macrumors regular

first sorry for the confusion on terminologies. jailbreak is just the ability to put different un approved apps to the iphone. Unlock would be the ability to put any sim card into the iphone.

So does redsn0w not unlock the phone?

Once again thank you in advance

4. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

No you will need to use ultrasn0w to unlock after you jailbreak it

5. Milfin thread starter macrumors regular

if I unlock would i be able to avoid the $15 iphone data plan?

currently he has unlimited data/text on his old phone.

6. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

No I think AT&T runs an imei scan and it will add a data plan to the line automatically

7. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Am I missi something here, what does jailbreaking have to do with passing the phone down to your son? I don't know if you guys in the US have issues with AT&T but here in canada all I would do is just give the person I want he phone as long as he's with the same carrier as me since i got the locked version. You are saying that your son is on a family plan? Then your carrier won't know you have given him an iPhone so he can just use it regardless. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    AE

8. Milfin thread starter macrumors regular

I was the one confused or maybe wanting something that was not possible. I wanted to give him the iPhone 3 g without paying for the iPhone data plan.
    What I'm reading jailbreak/unlock does not get me past the dataplan no biggie.

9. gottafly macrumors regular

I did the same thing w/ my son. My solution was to activate a new line with AT&T using a non-iphone phone. Once activated, I simply put the sim into the 3G that I was giving him and it worked fine. I did, however, add the fake.apn for data blocking to avoid any charges. He used it for over a year that way, relying on wifi for access.

And, yes, AT&T knew it was an iphone, but it was under no contract whatsoever...so no 'forced' data plan.