Current rMBP not registered with AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplingstorie, Feb 18, 2013.

1. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

So I have purchased a rMBP 15" 2012 last year together with AppleCare. And due to IR, I had the machine replaced twice. Now when I check my current machine's warranty coverage, it appears to have only 1 year (no applecare)? I was in shocked, I emailed apple and they told me the applecare is registered with my OLD rMBP's serial number (which is already sent back to Apple). This is outrageous! Shouldn't they have the common sense to transfer the applecare to my current Machine? I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm really freaked out now. :(

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Call them again explaining your issue.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call them and have them refund the entire price of the AppleCare from the old computer and buy it it for the new one.

You normally need to manually initiate a transfer for the AppleCare.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, *you* should have the common sense to transfer it over. It's in the T&C that if you have a replacement machine, you need to manually initiate a transfer, or request a refund and rebuy AppleCare.

The MBP and AppleCare are two separate products - your MBP is automatically enrolled if you buy it at the same time as the AppleCare, but they're still separate products. A (physical) example would be if you bought an iPhone and a car charger from a shop, and then change your mind and want a Samsung - the shop wont automatically refund the car charger, you need to do that yourself.

5. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

ok understood. So I should call Apple and tell them to transfer?

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep. Although Personally I'd ask them to refund (in full, not pro-rata since you haven't had the machine) and re-buy - that way you wont lose a few weeks warranty :).

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

8. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you!:D

----------

Alright. Thanks for your advice and time. I'll be emailing them since the customer service here (Calls) is extremely horrible here in my country (Malaysia). I once was put on hold an hour or so when I told them about the IR issues and requested for an exchange. :D

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you are going to buy another one with the refund, go to B&H!
    They sell AC's pretty cheap.
    Got my 17in AC for only 250USD when its originally 350.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

My rMBP was replaced in warranty by the original owner, who sold me the brand new replacement (still sealed, with Applecare) over Ebay last year. I checked the machine before purchasing with the S/N and Apple did transferred the Applecare of the first machine into the second one without requiring a request by himself or myself. It is strange they did not did the same in your case.

11. 1member1 macrumors 6502

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

13. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

Before the replacement, I did tell the applecare person whether they will do the transfer, they said yes. Now, i'm extremely confused. I have sent all my documents to apple, but they're not going to do the transfer because I have provided them insufficient evidence. They sent me this:

we do completely understand that you have purchased your AppleCare from Apple. However, when you get a replacement product, you will get a list of documents that sufficiently verify replacement, given below:

1). Apple Mail-In Repair Invoice Receipt
    2). Apple Store Genius Bar Work Confirmation
    3). Customer Replacement Unit (CRU) documentation issued by Apple
    4). Invoice issued by an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Reseller

The document you provided is for something other than the purchase of the replacement product.

I really don't know what they're asking for. I've provided them with the invoice of the replacement unit with the Serial Numbers and all. Maybe I should ask for refund. Worst customer service ever. (I live in Malaysia by the way)

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Just ask them for a refund of the AppleCare then. If you had the online store replace your machine you wont have *any* of those pieces of paper, you'll have two separate invoices, one for the return of the old one, one for the sale of the new one.

The muppets of AppleCare strike again.

15. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: So I've contacted Apple and they told me that my applecare has already been updated with my current machine even though the email has clearly stated I needed more evidence/documentation (wth?). So, the guy on the phone explained to me the transfer was a success and extended about a month more, counting 3 years from my current machine which has been replaced on the 27 October (First System was purchased on the September together with AppleCare).

16. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I suspect that is more often the case than Apple might like somehow, something similar happened to a friend as well.. Almost a Best Case Scenario ~ You are still covered, glad to hear!! :apple: