Current rMBP, worth buying now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lifter7, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. Lifter7 macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2012
    I will not be able to get the next haswell pro. Period. Out of my hands due to region specifications, and needing a laptop immediately within a week.

    I'm looking for something to last me 4-5 years? I was considering this 13 inch rMBP or the baseline 2013 air(( cannot upgrade ram too for same reason above). Not sure what to do..:confused:

    I'll be using it for engineering, and will run windows on it via bootcamp.
  2. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    I can't give you any answers to your questions, other than I just ordered the baseline 13" rMBP and it should be here next week. From my thread on this same issue, it sounds like we will be fine.
  3. Laco macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2008

    Personally, if I had to decided between the CURRENT 13 inch air and pro. I would go for the air with 256 SSD and 8gb ram (upgrade)
  4. skirmisser macrumors member

    Oct 2, 2012
    If you are waiting for Haswell for the faster GPU it won't make any difference for every day life computing. I have seen a current generation 15" rMPB running OS X 10.9 and in terms of safari scrolling and UI lag it is a huge jump, and all this using the integrated (Intel HD 4000) GPU.

    There will be longer battery life and faster SSD (PCI Express vs SATA), but in terms of CPU and GPU, both machines (current ivy bridge and future haswell-based) will last you the same (running OS X Mavericks 10.9).

    Only when people make heavy use of AVX2, which will take a lot of time, Haswell will be able to really show some CPU gains...


    Forgot to mention that Haswell-based rMBPs will probably have 801.11ac, but not sure how important is that to you...
  5. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
  6. fskywalker macrumors 65816


    Nov 6, 2009
    13" rMBP is an excellent choice, recently downgraded from 15 " rMBP looking for portability, no regrets.
  7. Xerotech macrumors 6502

    Jul 22, 2011
    I'd buy it used. There are plenty of stock of current gen models. You'll save a ton of money.

    You'll always be out of date for every model. If you plan on using it for the next 4-5 years. This current model will last you fine.
  8. hachiman macrumors regular

    Jan 31, 2008
    What are you using to post on this website? Don't tell me it's your iPhone. :p

    I'm sure there is a computer you can use to do whatever work you have to do. It's only less than 2 weeks. Only a few days ago you posted you're waiting for Haswell to compare. Don't be impatient. Heck, use someone else's computer.
  9. Lifter7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2012
    It won't be available to buy where I live till January, and most likely it will be much more over priced than normal.

    Probably going with current rMBP though, still deciding whether it, Air, or cMBP. Man I've to do a decision in 2 days, and it's killing me. :X
  10. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2009
    If you need one now, buy one now, of course. I did exactly that about 10 days ago.

    Whatever your requirements may be, a 13" rMBP (especially with 16GB of DRAM) will meet those requirements for one to three years longer than a 13" MBA will. I definitely wouldn't touch a cMBP.
  11. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    You can't get the 13" rMBP with 16GB of RAM currently :-(
  12. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2009
    That's one of the reasons why a 13" rMBP with 16GB of DRAM will meet any set of requirements longer than a 13" MBA.
  13. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm really confused. A 13" rMBP with 16gb of RAM does not exist.
  14. 3lite macrumors 6502a


    Nov 7, 2011
    ^ Lmao.

    Both the MBA and rMBP will last you 5+ years. Don't listen to some of the clowns on these forums saying you have to upgrade every 2-3 years or your machine will be obsolete.
  15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    He never said it did. Re-read.
  16. that1guyy macrumors 6502

    Nov 11, 2011
    If we don't get more rumors about the MBP by Tuesday morning or noon, it isn't happening this month and has been set for 2014, in which case a refurbished Ivy Bridge it is.

    Funny how the refurbished macs barely have a discount.
  17. bluebird3 macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2013
    I've been learning between the two myself for a long time. My own conclusion is....I'd go with rMBP PERIOD. Better screen and performance over all. The weight isn't that much different.
  18. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    Well if he is implying he should wait for a 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM that goes against what the OP is willing to do.
  19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
  20. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Haswell based MBA 13" is cheaper than 13" non haswell based rMBP and I am sure it will suit to your needs but I have no idea if it will last 4 to 5 years? :apple:
  21. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Aug 23, 2006
    im typing this on my new 13 rmbp 8gb,256gb model and i love it. i upgraded from the first gen macbook back in 06'. and for 1200$ complaints at all. the screen is gorgeous
  22. matamoris macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2011
    Fry's was blowing them out last month, which made them an excellent value. I got a brand new 13" rmbp 8/256G for $1250.
  23. Broadus macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2011
    If you can't get the about-to-be-released MBP, I would go for the 13" rMBP. As far as mobility goes, the difference is inconsequential to me. The screen, though, is another story. Retina is what I'd rather be looking at over the next 4 to 5 years.
  24. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2009
    None of us know when the Haswell rMBPs will be released. 15 October is the next plausible date, which I understood to be within the OP's time window. We don't know whether or not the 13" Haswell rMBP will be offered with a 16GB option.

    Even comparing the 13" Haswell MBA and 13" Ivy Bridge rMBP, the latter has a performance advantage equivalent to one or two years of progress.

    I currently own a 2010 15" MBP (8GB/128GB), a 2011 13" MBA (4GB/256GB), and an early 2013 15" rMBP (16GB/512GB). Given the OP's desire to keep the machine 4-5 years, I would strongly recommend the 13" Ivy Bridge rMBP over the 13" Haswell MBA. However, I would wait to see what, if anything, may be introduced on 15 October.
  25. Starfyre macrumors 68030


    Nov 7, 2010
    I'd pick the 13'' MBA. It is no slouch, sure its not as powerful as a rMBP, but the battery and portability will make you fall in love with it. Who knows, by the time you need a new laptop, the profile of that 13'' Air may become the new Macbook Air Retina.

Share This Page