Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Can anybody comment on ship times from order to delivery from Apple direct these days (May 2005)? In particular, I'm interested in Canadian deliveries on high end PowerBooks (say, the 17" PB) as configured (no upgrades). Comments from our American friends would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I'm in the States and I can tell you don't count on their ship times. I ordered a dual 1.8 powermac that was on sale, it was supposed to ship today and of course it didn't. I called apple and they offerered zero explanation, just a spindle of blank cd's. It's been a very "Dell-like" experience so far with the exception that there isn't the language barrier and they are fairly polite. I get the feeling there is a complete disconnect between sales, inventory and shipping which is a pity because I was hopping Apple would gain some momentum but if everyone has similar experiences their going to scare off some of the "switchers" like myself. Interesting thing is this morning the same model was still on their website showing a ship time of 1-3 days, I ordered my computer 4 days ago and paid extra for expedited shipping.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I just had an experience like none other with apple today. I ordered a CTO Dual 2.0 PowerMac today and it shipped today :eek: I can't believe that considering in the past apple has usually been a few days off. As long as the system arrives in working order then I will be truely impressed :)

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
For me as of today it was 1 week and a day, including a billing snafu. I ordered a Configured PowerMac Last Thursday and I received it Today, during that time I had a problem with the credit card I was using so I don't know if that delayed it very much.

My coworker also ordered a configured Mac Mini last Wednesday and it arrived yesterday.

Both orders were shipped with standard/free shipping.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I ordered a BTO iMac on Sunday and it shipped today. When I ordered it, the delivery said 5-8 days.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...although not recent, both times I have ordered direct from Apple Canada they have beat the estimated shipping date. I would gues that if you are interested in a Powerbook it will ship pretty much as expected unless there is a temp shortage of parts beyond their control, like hard drives or something, and if so that delay is only likely to be a couple days or so....oh yeah!

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Now I get an email saying it has been moved back to the 26th for shipping..AND they have the exact same machine on their website..availability 1-3 days and hmmm the 26th is 5 days away. I'm getting a very very bad taste in my mouth about Apple. At least with the PC if something goes wrong I can normally fix it myself, and if I need a part I can get it in 24 hours and not get this kind of runaround.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
powermac delay

I ordered a dual 2.7 CTO on 5/13 - estimated shipping 3-5 days. Until today my order status was "will ship on or before 5/20"; now it's "on or before 5/31". The same configuration is still estimated at 3-5 days on the web site. :confused:

ChemicalGeoff

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Coventry, UK
Just feel glad you don't live in the UK. I ordered my PowerMac 4 weeks ago on monday, it had shipped within a week and then took THREE WEEKS TO GET HERE.

Went via luxemburg from ireland to the UK. For those who know little of UK Geography, Coventry is about 50 miles from Ireland.

AGH

Still apparently it's arriving on Monday. Wooo

Footer TBC

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
ChemicalGeoff said:
Just feel glad you don't live in the UK. I ordered my PowerMac 4 weeks ago on monday, it had shipped within a week and then took THREE WEEKS TO GET HERE.

Went via luxemburg from ireland to the UK. For those who know little of UK Geography, Coventry is about 50 miles from Ireland.

AGH

Still apparently it's arriving on Monday. Wooo

Footer TBC
That's because Ireland is the centre for Apple UK (Cork I believe) and they use TNT through Luxembourg - it used to be Holland. I had the same problem with my PM - watching it zip around Europe before getting to me. I then had to wait when the TNT guy said I wasn't home (round objects;) ) and redeliver it. In short the waiting times from the online store are often fiction. Check the threads after new products have been released and people who've ordered it online are receiving it after people who got it from the store a few weeks later.

ChemicalGeoff

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Coventry, UK
In short the waiting times from the online store are often fiction.

Well the ultimate salt in the wound was when a friend of mine ordered a PB 15" a week after i ordered my PM and he received it 4 days afterwards (2 of these days were the weekend!).

Thats' just not cricket!

So close, but yet so far.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Thanks... well, I guess it's sort of dog's breakfast as to when an Apple product is going to show up. I figured if ship times were really delayed and highly unpredictable, I might as well wait until after WWDC in June 2005 to see if there are any PowerBook updates (although unlikely from what I gather). I guess I'm at the point where a few weeks either way isn't going to make much difference for me.

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
Well, I phoned Apple today to complain about the delay on my PowerMac from 5/20 to 5/31. They offered no real explanation, but immediately offered to knock $235 off the price as compensation. Somewhat surprising.

Oddly enough, $235 is _exactly_ the amount of estimated sales tax . . .

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Huh... I didn't have that luck of Apple reducing the price when they messed up my order badly last year (3 week delay; placed wrong order). Maybe Apple Canada doesn't care as much.

ChemicalGeoff

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Coventry, UK
I e-mailed apple to ask if my order had been authorized by the bank, they replied a week later asking "what do i mean, i was shipped yesterday?". I e-mailed them again a few weeks later asking where my mac was, they replied today "Your mac has arrived already according to our system".

I think they do it just to annoy me.

rbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Do the shipping estimates apply to BTO items?

I ordered a 15" BTO powerbook on May 17, and it was listed as 1-3 day shipping. The first estimate after ordering was on or before May 23rd, and is now on or before May 27th. It was sent to manufacturing on either the 18th or 19th... Might they be low on batteries due to the recall? Or is more than a week before finally shipping for a "1-3" day item a usual occurence? (I just hope it finishes up soon and can start making its way here.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.