Current shipment of MBP's heat issue fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aibo82, Apr 28, 2011.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

I was going to pull the triger on a macbook pro 15" 2.2 has the heat issue been fixed in the more recent shipments?

I dont fancy pulling apart a new notebook to reaply thermal paste even though I have done 100's of other laptops befor!

I sent a macbook pro back when they first came out years ago with this issue soon as you bootcamped a game in windows it would heat up to the point of scalding then crash!

Cheers guys

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

3. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

Got my 15" MBP on Monday, and have been playing Portal 2 a lot. My MBP hasn't gotten over 95C that I have seen. Normally when playing it's below 90C.

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Wow, isn't that a bit toasty? I worry a bit when it gets up around 75C (that's only when I'm working on both Photoshop and using VMWare to work on my Windows-based database). What is the upper threshold, temperature-wise for "Sweat Mode Alpha" (the temperature that's really too hot for a MBP)?

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

If the processor hits a certain temperature, the Mac is supposed to shut itself down. I haven't heard of any of the new MBPs doing that.

6. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

Yes, 95C is quite toasty.

You'll know when your MBP has overheated as it will shut off. My old Dell idled at around 80C and got up to 110C when running VMware Workstation for school.

I wouldn't be too worried about 75C.

7. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

This issue is going to be more serious because summer is coming.

8. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

lol.... obviously :rolleyes:

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

With a MBP in the 90s, you will probably begin sweating if it's on your lap.
    Also, the fans will be blowing full blast. If the heat doesn't bother you then the fan noise will.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

What heat issue? Oh you mean the one people have been moaning about for years? Funny, back in the core duo macbook pros(2006) threads like your were already popping up, with temps reaching the 95C+ region. Guess what? Most of these computers are still alive and kickin'. It's only as big an issue as the people using the computers make it out to be. They temps are within design specs, which to me mean there IS NO issue.

The new MBPs do not get much hotter than most previous generations.

11. Waffl3s macrumors newbie

Mine has hit 207F using HandBrake.

Attached Files:

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

no. I just bught one and it gets toasty.

I STRONGLY advise to just leave and NOT to do any kind of paste hack.

Then if it burns up it's Apples fault, and they pay. If the heat burns your legs, don't wear shorts....:D

13. zurichuk macrumors regular

Is this a new issue then?

My 2009 MBP was at 88-90 when I first opened this thread, due to some heavy video stuff, popped out for 5 mins, came back, 2 hour job is done and it's down to 57 and dropping and quiet again.

Had a 105 scare once many months ago starting a job off a cold start and for some reason the fans kicked in slow, but only the one.

Apart from that, never worried about it. In fact I expect it.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

75C is nothing in a notebook. My token Sony gets up to 76C when playing one game and doing a full stress test at the same time (Prime95, all cores/threads). Just the game alone gets the temp to 76C.

100C, if I recall... the i7 2620 has a TCore of 105C (?). It'll run hot, and I don't recommend running it that hot for weeks on end :eek:, but for short periods it'll be fine. At 100C, the CPU is said to throttle itself and slow down... not recommended, but anandtech's website showed the 15" 2011 model ultimately pulling 93w... which is not good considering the AC adapter allows up to 85W. :eek:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/14

A new power adapter is of paramount importance...

I'll probably not do full 3D rendering on my 17" 2011 MBP, unless temps remain under 90C. Otherwise I'll do draft renders only and save the big work for the Mac Pro to run overnight/weeks/whatever it takes to render it.