Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

refulgentis

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
I wish VisualHub would make .m4v and I wish Handbrake would accept more input types. If I knew how to program I would be working hard on it.... maybe I need to learn!
Haha that's exactly what I'm thinking, I downloaded the handbrake source last night, I wanted to poke around it today, but quite simply learning C , the different types of open source video decoders, the muxers, and then the intricacies of the program itself mean by the time I'm done, they'll have it done much quicker.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Haha that's exactly what I'm thinking, I downloaded the handbrake source last night, I wanted to poke around it today, but quite simply learning C , the different types of open source video decoders, the muxers, and then the intricacies of the program itself mean by the time I'm done, they'll have it done much quicker.
And it would take a major rewrite of how Handbrake is structured. Quite simply, it was made with MPEG2 sources in mind.

refulgentis

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Bingo.

Managed to get AutoMKV (google it) to give me a nice .aac track that I can throw into yamb and then remux with my h.264 to give me an .mp4. REMEMBER, you need to manually set the fps in yamb to 23.967.

But, I'm still not quite there yet. I need to the "Level" to 3.1 to have Apple TV play it back. It's getting late though...More tomorrow.

Thread at Doom9 asking about this:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1105296#post1105296
Getting AAC into an MP4 container isn't a problem though, is it? Everyone wants AC3 because no cheap receivers can decode 5.1 AAC, also my understanding was converting AC3 to 5.1 AAC messed up the channel order.

The two problems with MKVs I know right now are that you can't mux 5.1 AC3 right now and 99% of the time the video track is using some h.264 encoding feature that is unsupported by Apple's H.264 implementation/Apple TV horsepower.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
See the above post.
I could be mistaken, but I believe he (dynaflash) is referring to this post:
I wish VisualHub would make .m4v and I wish Handbrake would accept more input types. If I knew how to program I would be working hard on it.... maybe I need to learn!

Getting AAC into an MP4 container isn't a problem though, is it? Everyone wants AC3 because no cheap receivers can decode 5.1 AAC, also my understanding was converting AC3 to 5.1 AAC messed up the channel order.
No, MP4 and AAC go together very nicely. As far as I know, there are no home receivers on the market that can currently decode 5.1 AAC (I recall hearing about one a couple months ago, but don't know if/when it will make it to market and it definitely wasn't cheap). I don't know about the channel order issue as I never encoded to 5.1 AAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.