Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hi guys!

I have for some time been looking for a bluetooth mouse for my MBP, but I am still stuck between the new Magic Mouse and Logitech m555b.

I will mainly be using it for travel/mobility use, as when my MBP is on the desk, I use my ageing - but loved - Logitech MX1000.

I am not a gamer. But I think that the ability to do 360 scrolling e.g. in Lightroom could be great.

I will mainly be working in Snow Leopard, but sometimes I might need boot camp for .NET development etc.

Does current boot camp drives support borth left and right click as it was a normal mouse on the magic mouse?

Is scrolling working?

How is battery life?

Is there any way of invoking Exposé or DashBoard on the Magic Mouse????

Price difference between the 2 mice is not important.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
On the OSX side, check out Better Touch Tool or MagicPrefs. These act as WAY better tools for using the mouse than what Apple has put together.

Both are good programs, but I prefer MagicPrefs. You can use this to program clicks, swipes, etc. in addition to Expose and Spaces. Better touch tool is good as well, because you can program gestures for the track-pad, which is nice for a portable machine.

On the Windows side: yes, left and right click work, as does scrolling. i don't know about the pinch zooming and other gestures, though.

It is good you aren't a gamer, because this mouse is horrible for gaming. I still use my Logitech for that purpose. Otherwise, I like the mouse very much. It is comfortable once your hand gets used to it. Battery life is good as well. I use rechargeable batteries in the mouse, so battery life is not all that important to me, though.

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hi...

I forgot to say thanks - this MagicPrefs made my day! I was a bit skeptical in the beginning, but now I LOVE that little mouse... the chicks dig it too... so now the big old ugly MX1000 Logitech has to go....

If I should decide to do some gaming again, then I will probably get this new Bluetooth mouse from Razer...

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Regarding battery life - I experience my Magic Mouse eating through a pair of 2500mah rechargeables in a few weeks.....

Is this not unusual?

On the OSX side, check out Better Touch Tool or MagicPrefs. These act as WAY better tools for using the mouse than what Apple has put together.

Both are good programs, but I prefer MagicPrefs. You can use this to program clicks, swipes, etc. in addition to Expose and Spaces. Better touch tool is good as well, because you can program gestures for the track-pad, which is nice for a portable machine.

On the Windows side: yes, left and right click work, as does scrolling. i don't know about the pinch zooming and other gestures, though.

It is good you aren't a gamer, because this mouse is horrible for gaming. I still use my Logitech for that purpose. Otherwise, I like the mouse very much. It is comfortable once your hand gets used to it. Battery life is good as well. I use rechargeable batteries in the mouse, so battery life is not all that important to me, though.

DustyLBottoms

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
Regarding battery life - I experience my Magic Mouse eating through a pair of 2500mah rechargeables in a few weeks.....

Is this not unusual?

With semi-daily use, my mouse still has the same batteries that it came with at Christmas........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.