Current State of SRT Apps on Mac

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zero hectic, Jan 8, 2019.

1. zero hectic macrumors member

I'm looking for some advice on the current apps out there that would facilitate pulling subs from sources and converting/ editing to .srt files for use with the Apple TV/ Plex. It's seemed for some time that Windows had a leg up on the better .srt apps, but wanted to see what people are currently using in the Mac world.

I found an app called SRT Extractor in the Mac App store that helps pull CEA-608 closed captioning files and convert them to .srt files. Very bare bones interface, but it gets the job done.

I've been playing with a beta of SubTools that can take blu-ray .sup files and convert to .srt files.

Jubler for editing .srt text, but frankly I'm hoping to find something with a little automation, for removing hearing impairment related text, etc.

Along those lines, I found SRT Cleaner on the subtitletools.com site does a fairly descent job of cleaning up extraneous text from .srt files, but I'm a bit weary of using web-based tools and would love to find a standalone option that does something similar.

Hoping to see what others are using out there, maybe find some better options.

-z

2. priitv8 macrumors 68040

For plain OCR-ing DVD/Blu-Ray subs into text (SRT), I use Subler.
    I have found no tool on Mac to convert DVB subs into text format. I might need to take a look at those offerings on AppStore.
    To convert and correct - Jubler.
    That's pretty much it for me.
    To be honest - in 95% of the cases I can pull correct subs from the internet, so I use the original only for identification and timing.

3. zero hectic thread starter macrumors member

I've used Subler for tagging and general clean up, but not for OCR. Going to have to give that a shot, thanks for the idea.

In general, I'm pulling subs off the internet 90% of the time, but I've been running into more and more cases where the I've had to roll my own. Surprised there aren't more choice to the Mac out there after all this time.