Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Does anyone know if the latest drivers for the Razer Naga finally include all of the customizations present in the Windows version?

It's one of the mice that Razer advertises as having Mac compatibility. But with some of Razer's "Mac-compatible" mice, they don't actually have full compatibility, only the most basic features in the Windows drivers.

Assuming these are screenshots of the latest drivers, and they seem to be, the Naga isn't fully Mac compatible: http://mac.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Razer-Naga-Mac-Driver-Screenshot-62397.html

Can anyone speak to whether or not the macro creation, user profiles (and auto switching), full button remapping, etc. are present for the Mac? Thanks.

Update: See 3rd post for all info.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I spoke to Razer technical support to get the answers I needed. Here's what they told me should anyone else also be interested:

Indeed the screenshots in the above link are current. Therefore, despite being advertised as Mac compatible, you cannot do most of the things that make this mouse amazing: profile creation, profile auto-switching, button remapping, macros and sensitivity stages (5 user-defined DPI levels).

What you can do, like with other Razer mouse advertised as Mac compatible, is connect it to a Windows machine and customize it there. Because the mouse has on-board memory, it will be saved and transferred to the Mac. That will address all the missing Mac driver features, except for one thing: profile auto switching. So if you've creating button assignments/macro/DPI settings for Photoshop, some games and a browser, the Naga won't automatically switch profiles for each program as you Command+Tab/Expose. You'll need to connect the mouse again to a Windows machine to switch profiles.

Despite how horribly pathetic that all sounds, I just ordered it. I'm using it strictly for gaming and I have a couple Windows systems. In the absence of any other mouse that does anything similar, I'll stomach the inconvenience of occasional configuration on a separate system and no auto profile switching. So I'll know beforehand what I'll be missing, which the marketing does well to conceal. And should anyone else be curious about this mouse, maybe this will help you decide.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
My Naga arrived today. I need to correct almost everything in my second post. Take what I relayed from Razer tech support, and the exact opposite is what happens to be true, which is amazing news. All the major features--profile creation, profile auto-switching, full button remapping, macros and sensitivity stages (5 user-defined DPI levels)--which was lacking in the Mac drivers at some point and which Razer tech support told me was absent just a week ago, is in fact all in place. The drivers I downloaded from their site is dated Feburary of this year, so this isn't even a recent addition.

So everything Razer told me isn't there, is there. And the one thing Razer told me was there--on-board memory, so to transfer settings from computer to computer (OS agnostic)--does not seem to be.

I've only tried macros so far, and they work. I haven't connected it to a Windows system yet to see if there are any missing features in the OSX drivers. If anyone would like further confirmation all the features do work without bugs, just ask.

So the biggest surprise is that it appears to have full Mac compatibility. And it's amazingly comfortable. I've had Logitech mice, the Magic Mouse, the Razer Orochi. This one is easily the most ergnomic.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Thanks for the update, very interesting reading. I wonder what the heck was going on with tech support though....??

Oh BTW I have a question. A number of Mac SC2 players have commented that they prefer playing under Windows because of the mouse acceleration feature under OSX, which you can't set in System Preferences anywhere. Are you able to disable mouse acceleration with the Naga prefs?

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
By my experience, it's not possible to turn off mouse acceleration under Mac OS. I don't own Naga, but I do have Razer Orochi and I am using Razer's drivers for it. It does not remove mouse acceleration any more than any other mouse driver for Mac does.

But you can set the mouse acceleration to very low by adjusting the mouse speed from System Settings to lowest and then adjusting the mouse speed by changing DPI setting in Razer's driver.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Are you able to disable mouse acceleration with the Naga prefs?

Yes you can. And if you wish to enable it, you check a box and there's a slider bar with 10 degrees of acceleration. It's disabled by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.