Current 'switcher' strategy recommendations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -hh, Nov 2, 2009.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

My wife surprised me this weekend with expressing interest in getting an iPhone (this makes Holiday shopping easy!).

We currently have a 2-phone 'family plan' on Verizon (plus a work Blackberry, so I don't really need to spend an extra $30/month for a second data plan).

My question is ... what's considered to be the better strategy for moving two phones over to AT&T, with one (1) to go onto iPhone hardware?

Option A - convert to AT&T, get one iPhone (through AT&T) and one normal GSM phone in the process.

Option B - convert to AT&T, get two new GSM phones, and then hit the Apple Store to replace one of the GSM phones with the iPhone.

I'm leaning towards Option B, as it would afford a spare GSM phone in case mine breaks, or which I could potentially use in Europe after buying a cheap local SIM card - - would the latter require that the AT&T phone be unlocked, and if so, does AT&T sell them that way, or would I need to look for a model that can be easily unlocked by a 3rd party?

Thanks,

-hh

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Option A. You don't really benefit from Option B because you're locked in a contract and still not getting the subsidy for the iPhone.

You can always get a cheap unlocked GSM phone from Newegg or buy a $20 GoPhone if you really need a spare. that's what I did.

3. -hh thread starter macrumors 68020

-hh

Both are good points. I hadn't considered NewEgg for unlocked GSM phones...looks like its time to look beyond just the normal computer stuff there!

Thanks,

-hh