Current value of the 27 inch's IPS display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DeF46, May 12, 2012.

1. DeF46 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, I am wondering whether the value of the IPS display, being usually thought of as being half of the iMac sell price, is still valid as of today?

I bought my late 2009 iMac for ~ 1800 €. Back then most people seemed to agree the 27 inch IPS panel was worth 900+ €. I think in dollars the figure was often rounded up to 1000 $ for an equivalent quality panel bought separately.

But how does this stand today? Is it still true?

2. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

3. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Can get the exact same panel on ebay from Shimian used in 27" Cinema Displays for like $300 free shipping, though you get sketchy dead pixel return policy, a korean plug, and any warranty service would require it being shipped back to Korea... def a gamble, but seems to work out great for a handful of people I know... have considered alternatives myself, am starting to regret the walled garden of Thunderbolt technology (I own 2 TB displays).

4. DeF46 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to be clear I didn't mean to start a debate on the the price of the iMac as a whole, and the fun games of imagining how we could get "equivalent" performance or quality for cheaper.

My observation is that, logically speaking, the 27 inch IPS panel must have lost value since when it came out.

Did the IPS display benefit from any significant improvements in the past two years?

The argument for the experience and the design included in the price were valid for my late 2009 iMac as well, therefore, since the competition is catching up, some of the loss of value in the IPS display must show up elsewhere if Apple maintains the same price.

Unless my logic is failing somewhere?

5. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

What? I'm saying the exact same LG IPS panel used in the iMac & Cinema Displays is being sold elsewhere for $300, yet Apple still sells the Cinema & Thunderbolt display for $1000, and people are certainly still paying $1k for them (I bought 2 TB Displays) and from what I've read 40% of 27" monitors sold this year were TB displays so... That's just what they cost ATM in the first world.
    I don't think that's how Apple determines the price of their iMac though ($1000 = display, $699-999 = computer) if that's what you're saying.... I don't think it's priced based on fair market price per component at all... Look at apple's ram upgrades for example heh.

6. wagsrules macrumors newbie

The panels in those Korean monitors are all grade A- where as apple, dell, and hp all use A grade panels. I'm sure there is a significant price difference as LG is just trying to dump the panel batches that don't meet A grade standards.

7. Silverddu macrumors newbie

Grade A- or not I bought 3 of those korean 27 inchers 2560x1440 for a total of 878$ shipped. There is really no reason to buy another screen costing 2x-3x the price from my experience:

One was a Yamakasi Catleap, got it with a nice tempered glass in front and integrated speakers. Top shape - no dust stuck under glass, dead or stuck pixels. I have it overclocked to 108hz in a single screen setup.

2 others were Crossover with a better stand and I use them in a dual display setup. Again no problems whatsoever, perfect display.

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

It cost 650usd to replace my 09 iMac's panel a year ago. Taking into consideration apple labor and a years' worth of advancement, I'd say the same panel cost around 400usd by itself now.

9. wagsrules macrumors newbie

I also own one of the Korean monitors. I have an a Achieva and it is a great display. Mine has no dead or stuck pixels. I was not implying that they were bad monitors just that these panels are mostly likely priced significantly lower by LG because of the panel grade.

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have the TB Displays and the compatibility of a dual dvi port would easily bump it back up to in A in my book lol.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Looking at non ebay or sketchy korean sellers with hit or miss panels... HP and Dell sell their displays at around $700-1000. I have seen them on sale as low as $600.

I've played this game with the thoughts of building a Hackintosh with one of those screens vs buying a new iMac... Last time I built it was $120 cheaper to build the i7 Hackintosh. Personally I don't want the hassle of the Hackintosh for a mere $120 difference.

12. DeF46, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

DeF46 thread starter macrumors regular

@Drag'nGT

Agree, that's really not comparable at all.

My question was mainly relative to the iMac itself. The panel must have lowered in value over time seeing as it was not improved. Other components, even when they are updated year after year, tend to sell around the same price. Eg. last year's 200$ CPU is now 100$ and the newer ones are worth 200$.

Therefore, I figured, with the 27 inch panel not being updated, where is that value going?

I guess I'll have to evaluate the hardware when the newer models come out instead of speculating...

A friend who think I wasted my money on an iMac, bought himself a 27 inch monitor a year ago. I think it was a Dell, not sure. Cost him nearly 900 €. Oh the irony. I won't comment on the monitor itself suffice to say I'm not envious at all. >_>

EDIT: To be fair I see my friend bought a Dell u2711 and I see now why I was not impressed as it got some bad reviews:
    http://peterhallam.com.au/dell-u2711-anti-glare-review/

( Colours were very dark and there was a sort of plastic sheen/graininess I didn't like, I had no idea it may be related to anti glare coating. )

"Hazro" doesn't even show up in Amazon.com or ldlc.com (French site). Hmmm...

13. 88 King, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The link is more a rent than a review, there is no analysis of the most important part, the screen quality itself. A simple Google search shows the U2711 get 4.5 to 5 out 5 reviews from trusted sites (Cnet, pcpro, anandTech ect).

The Dell U2711 is a technically superior display, have more connectives and a 3 years next day replacement warranty if there is a single dead pixel, and is around 1/4 to 1/3 cheaper than 27" display from Apple.

I think the imac have very little resell value as a monitor since you must have the machine powered on to use as an external monitor. Also the latest model can only accept input via thounderbolt port.

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a Dell U2711 at work and an Apple Thunderbolt Display at home. I vastly prefer the ATD over the U2711. If you can control your lighting (not everyone can), then I prefer the glossy screen.

The reason I bought the U2711 for the office is because I did need dual inputs since I use both a PC (Lenovo X201) and my MBA.

Despite having only the single input, I do think that the ATD is a superior product. It basically is a full docking station for my MBA. It has built in FW800, TB, USB, and GbE ports. It powers my MBA. It has a built conferencing camera and reasonable speakers (as compared to the MBA). Furthermore... I can connect it to a TB iMac, and have dual 27" 2560x1440 displays!

/Jim