Current voice control Vs Siri assistant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Man on the moon, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Man on the moon macrumors regular

I am a big apple supporter and love their products. I noticed the knew Siri assistant and current voice control is done by same female voice. I can't say i really use that feature currently and i hope that the 4S siri assistant does not suck. The assistant feature was and is hyped so much, that i doubt it can deliver. Thoughts?

Once again i will purchase it but just wanted to see peoples take on it and if they believe it will go the way of current voice control feature, meaning little to no use after the first couple of days :cool:

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

It won't be used.

Just like speech recognition on the Mac. Its there, but you don't use it.

Just like FaceTime....

Because the problem with it is the laziness of the human to exert that energy vs doing it silently.

Why say "whats the weather" awkwardly in an otherwise quiet room, when you can just as quickly, if not quicker, click the weather app?

What if your roommates or whomever are in the other room, and its all quiet in the house.

Its just awkward...

3. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I think to really be used, Siri needs a "leave me on" option where it just passively listens and then responds to any commands.

If I have to hold on to the home button for a second before asking for the weather, I probably wouldn't bother. However if it was already listening by default, I'd probably ask it.

Similarly if I could just say "lights on" or "lights off" for a room then I'd do that all the time, but not if I had to press a button first to active voice control each time before saying "lights on" or "lights off."

4. libertysat macrumors regular

It is the only feature I miss from my droid (don't miss android at all)
    Worked pretty good

I used it often and suspect seri is even more refined
    I will go so far as to say it is the most attractive feature for me right now in ios5

I do zero social texting and I used voice extensively for work texts and web searches on my droid

I bought my mom a touch just for the facetime we have together...

5. wratran macrumors regular

All marketing gimmick
    Wait till you use it when there are background noises... Voice command Work half the time

Megapixel in camera is another hype....people tend to love the high megapixel spec.

My old nikon dslr w half the mp will out perform any 8 mp phone camera

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The only thing that interests me about Siri is the ability, if it works well, to read and reply to emails and texts while driving. That's pretty nice because I hate checking my phone while driving.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Ditto ...... I'm interested in the read and reply text feature. I keep my iPhone placed in a holder in my ride, and it'll be easy to press the home button to activate. Even better if it activates from my BT earpiece like Voice Control does.