Current White MacBook RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sportguy0913, Apr 3, 2010.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Does the current white macbook, with 2GB RAM, come with a single 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks?

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

2 1GB sticks.

Edit: spinnerlys, wanna try it again, in 2-part harmony? :D

Edit: make that 3-part!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone always says Apple rips people off with RAM prices... well I've only ever seen 4GB ram (2x2) for $100 plus. And apple offers it for 90 with the education discount and you don't have the hassle of installing it,and its cheaper. Where is this "cheaper' ram that i'm seemingly missing?

thanks!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you think about it, the $90 price isn't for 4GB. It's for the 2GB difference between 2GB and 4GB. When you buy from 3rd parties, they don't keep the 2GB that came with your Mac. Apple does. So that 4GB is really $180 from Apple, vs $125 from OWC. Installation is a snap (literally), so there's no hassle there.

7. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

+1 Unless, you are ultra rich and it's not worth your time.

8. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well what do you do with the other 2GB that you now don't need? I have no other computers that can use it... do you sell it?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Either sell it or keep in case you need to return the Mac for a repair, as Apple might replace the RAM with the original that should be in there.

So if it came with 2GB, but you send it in with 4GB, chances are there you get your Mac back with 2GB, so you loose 2GB in the process.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

It is so much less hassle to buy from apple when the prices are like this.

You are never going to be able to sell the old ram for much and if there are any problems with your computer down the line you have to keep switching back and forth.

Much better to pay the difference and get it with applecare in this scenario

11. Arrandale macrumors regular

Apple always goes for the smallest possible denominations so that upgrading it to better ram is as expensive as possible

my macbook white has 1GB ram in 2 x 512 mb sticks

my dad's old ibook had 128 mb ram with 2 x 64 mb sticks

if you order a mac with 4 gb or 8gb ram you'll get it in 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 gb sticks respectively

sucks doesn't it

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually ... no.

They don't do it to make it more expensive. They do it because splitting the total RAM across two sticks gives faster access times. This way, not everything is waiting to be channeled through one stick of memory.

13. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The kicker to me is when I bought my 5,1 about a year and a half ago, an upgrade to 4GB was $100 or maybe even $125 from Apple and OWC's price was about $52 for a 4GB kit. So, upgrade it youself was the only logical way to go. Since then, the price from OWC and Crucial and etc. went up and Apple stayed the same or came down. Now, like posted, Apple charges $100 and OWC is $125 (today) so the Apple upgrade makes sense.

The same is not true for hard drives.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Will all 8 gig kits work with the plastic uni mb? or only certain chip sets, like OWC?

15. sportguy0913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really... my grandparent's iMac (mid 2007) came with 1X1GB totalling 1GB of Ram, not 2 X 512MB