Currently deployed. Quick question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Texasboy956, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Texasboy956 macrumors newbie

Hey guys need some advice. I am currently deployed in Iraq and was wondering if I should order now or wait till I get back to the states. This will be my first Mac purchase and was looking into the top end 15in MBP with high res anti glare type screen. I am wondering if I should wait to order because I see posts of people getting defective MBP and it would be such a pain to return it being over seas. I talked with apple employee online and best way to get the laptop down here is getting it shipped home. Then having my loved ones send it down here. Appreciate if I could get some input. I don't want to get a defective one and have to send it back etc etc. Would be inconvient for me. Will be back in states till June and i really want to get my hands on this MBP. Thanks.

2. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Wait a few weeks if your worried about something going wrong with your computer. Otherwise, go ahead and get one now. It really depends how much you would be able to use it while deployed as well and if paying for your loved ones to send a package insured for $2400 is worth it or not. Best of luck.

3. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

ive heard horror stories about dod mail service, you have to wait for apple to ship it to your family, then for them to ship it to you. if there is a problem you have to wait to ship it back home, and then back to apple, then apple back to home and then home to you.

might be easier just to wait.

Thank You for Your Service!

4. NelsonB macrumors member

NelsonB

it may just be easier to wait because of all of the shipping troubles, but if you want it now go for it!

thanks so much for your service, good luck

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Wait til you get home... spare yourself the headaches.

Semper Fi.

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I didn't have any issues doing that same thing back when I was in the military(order it, having it sent to home, home send it overseas), but my god it was slow and I was in Qatar! You don't want to have to deal with having to send it back if there is a problem. It would be a hassle and a slow, slow process. IF you can, wait.

Thanks for your service.

7. mountainwarrior macrumors newbie

mountainwarrior

I am currently in Afghanistan and ordered a mac mini while over here and a imac when i was in iraq. The best way to ship it to yourself is to use apobox.com set up a account then have the laptop shipped to them insure it for about 20 bucks and the repackage it and the custom label gives no hints on the contents. (so your sneaky mail clerk doesn't end up with a new laptop).:eek: When you go to thier site they have a link to thier apple store program that gives you a bigger discount than the federal/military discount.

Camp Spann, Afghanistan

8. Texasboy956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh good info man. Appreciate it. Will check out that website tomorrow. Thanks for input guys. Much appreciated.

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Are you buying from the Exchange/BXPX? Navy Exchange sells Macs now.

10. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I would wait. Otherwise it will just be sitting there without you. Maybe by the time you're home there will be some deals in the Refurbished Store.

More importantly, thank you for your service. Hurry home. We miss you.