currently jailbroken... how (or when) to upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by DeuxIt, Nov 10, 2010.

1. DeuxIt macrumors member

i jailbroke my iPad with jailbreakme.com. when 4.2 comes out what are my options for upgrading?
    -do i just accept the upgrade from apple and it happens automatically?
    -do i wipe it and restore a backup, then upgrade?
    -then once it's updated if i want to re-jailbreak, well, nevermind, i can look that up....
    -does cydia offer their own upgrade to 4.2 in a few days/weeks so i don't have to re-jailbreak?
    -other?
    -what will i lose in any of the likely scenarios, what pitfalls should i expect and what can i do to prevent them.

if these are clearly addressed in another thread, please redirect me or suggest a search, but i couldn't find it at first search in this forum.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can just accept the upgrade from Apple, but then you will lose your jailbreak, and all the jailbreak apps and mods. You will then have to rejailbreak when the new jailbreak for 4.2 is released. There's no automatic upgrade from one jailbreak to the next, you always upgrade through iTunes and rejailbreak (unless you have an iPhone that needs to be kept unlocked, but that doesn't apply to iPads, thank god). There are some apps you can get through Cydia that helps you restore your jailbreak stuff after you upgrade and rejailbreak, search "backup" in Cydia.

Some people would recommend that you do a full restore instead of an upgrade and set up as new, just to ensure that you don't have any problems with stuff from the old firmware conflicting with something in the new firmware. Problem is, if you do that, you lose all your app data and system settings. So I think you should only do that if you are actually experiencing specifiic problems. But even if you want to do that, there is no need to wipe your device before upgrading, just click "restore" after 4.2 is released, and it will wipe your device AND upgrade.

3. DeuxIt thread starter macrumors member

if I go with the apple upgrade, do a backup and THEN do a restore, would that preserve the stored data and app setting you say I would lose doing a restore off the bat?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Uh... You don't seem to have a good idea of how the backups, restore and updates work in iTunes, you are overthinking things and making them more complicated than they are.

Upgrading doesn't affect the official apps you download from the App Store or your system settings, you just upgrade and keep going as you were. No need to restore, backup, any of that stuff.

Upgrading, however, will cause your iPad to become unjailbroken. At this point, no amount of restore, backup, etc, will help you get back your jailbreak. You just have to rejailbreak, then reinstall all your jailbreak stuff. Like I said, there are some apps in Cydia that helps with the reinstall process. But it's not going to be fully automatic.

A restore is like wiping your hard drive. So it should only be done when you have a serious problem with your iPad. Also, some major OS updates require a restore, but 4.2 can be just updated over 3.2.x. When you restore, you get a choice of setting your iPad up as new, or restoring from a backup. Restoring to a new firmware and then restoring from a backup has the same end result as updating to a new firmware, only it takes more time. A lot more time, if you have lots of stuff on your iPad. Thus, there's no reason to restore rather than update.

So, basically, when 4.2 comes out, you update from iTunes, then rejailbreak, then put back your jailbreak stuff. If you want to get some apps from Cydia to help you reinstall your jailbreak stuff, you get them now. OK?

5. DeuxIt thread starter macrumors member

that is correct, i do not know all the details of every jailbreaking/updating/backup/restoration operation and thats why i am asking. this is my first iOS device, therefore my first jailbroken device and i havent had the misfortune of having to do anything in the realm of which we are speaking, so thank you for your detailed response.

i knew that updating would lose all my jailbreak settings and apps, but i didn't know the rest.

the only reason i concocted the upgrade>backup>restore scenario was your previous statement that just UPGRADING might leave behind some problems or conflicts of old firmware vs new firmware. my obviously flawed logic suggested this chain of operations might result in a cleaner install/restore AND keep from losing all my app data and system setting you said would happen with a full restore. i will keep it simple and just do the apple upgrade.

thanks for your help.

6. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Maybe these questions were already answered and I'm just too unfamiliar with iOS to realize, but here it goes:

1) I know that if you restore the iPad, you lose all your app data and Cydia apps. But, do you lose your Cydia apps if you just upgrade iOS without a restore (still there but won't work if you try to click them)?

2) Do you have to re-buy Cydia store apps or can you just re-download them like in the regular App Store?

7. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

When you jailbreak again, Cydia will be installed again. I don't think Cydia is compatible with iOS 4.2 yet. I expect a JB to come out a few days to a few weeks after its released.

The apps you paid for will install without having to re-buy them. ie I bought iFile, when I JB again I can download it again after I authenticate myself.

I don't know if Cydia stuff backsup with itunes... There used to be an Cydia app that backed up what you downloaded, I don't know if its been updated as I couldnt get it installed with iOS 4.

8. sfarrington1 macrumors newbie

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That article is very old. Note it talks about 2.0.x! I'm fairly sure the problem with storage space loss doesn't exist anymore, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

10. sfarrington1 macrumors newbie

That would be good to know. I am just learning all this stuff and I figured as this site is tied to cydia somehow that it would be current. I would really like to make sure and do this correct the first time.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

If you want to keep a jailbroken device (as well as your freedom from the clutches of Applecontrol), you are DEFINITELY going to want to wait to update to 4.2 until they release a jailbreak for it. There's no telling how long of a wait it will be, but usually it's within a few weeks, maybe a few months.

Good luck waiting :)