All iPads Currently on iPad Mini Retina. Got 6 Plus. Upgrade to Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benna, Nov 8, 2014.

1. benna macrumors regular

Hi guys

I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus recently and I've got the iPad mini retina as well.

I carry my iPad with me often and I use it for editing documents and remotely logging into my Mac using Screens. Considering the sizes of both the Plus and the retina are close, is it worth upgrading to the air 2 for the extra screen real estate and touch ID support ?

Please let me know your thoughts :)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

ehh. I have a Note 4 5.7" and I still enjoy the mini 2. I'm not really sold on the Air 2 it is just slightly too large for my taste when I can do the same web browsing stuff and occasional games on the mini and not feel like the experience has been degraded. Unless you're doing powerful iPad apps or higher uses for the iPad then the Air 2 isn't really necessary. I would prefer the phablet and mini iPad combo. I have a first gen iPad too so I know the size of the screen, it's cool but I wouldn't necessarily sell the mini 2 for an Air 2 unless you REALLY like it.

3. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

As you have probably noticed, the 6 plus is NOT a tablet substitute. Not even for the iPad mini. If you like the size and are satisfied with the mini 2, just hang on to it. I have a 6 plus and an Air 2. I sold my mini 2 to get the Air 2. The Air is super fast and the screen is both beautiful and larger than the mini. For me it's the perfect combo, but now I'm broke :) no regrets though, the Air is just great.

That being said, there is something "perfect" about the size of the mini, and the Air is not what I'd call a portable device. The mini would fit in some of my coat pockets, whereas the Air will not. I do miss that.

Keep in mind too that the resolution of the two tablets is exactly the same, so the size of the screen is smaller but the screen "real estate" is the same if you catch my meaning. Of course, for editing documents the Air is going to be much more pleasant to use because of the larger hit boxes for your finger to hit.

.....but, there are some great deals right now on the Air(see Best Buy thread). Decisions, decisions...

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No you don't really need an Air 2. That's all I can say for now. :apple:

5. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I have the exact same setup. Gave the rMini to my kids and got Air 2. Don't regret it a bit. I didn't realize how much I missed the extra screen size until I started using Air 2.

6. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I have an iPad mini2. Recently got an Air2 (traded in Air1), and also have a 6 plus.

If you want the faster speed, touchID, slimmer profile (ITS REALLY THIN), 2GB RAM, then upgrade to the Air2.

If you don't care about the above improvements, then it's really not worth upgrading simply for the screen real estate.

Simply put, the mini is big enough. I never feel like I need to use my Air in lieu of the mini when I'm actually using the mini (it's my wife's). Seriously, it's the perfect size. And Apple realizes this. But the profit margin is much smaller than it is for the full sized iPads. Hence the anemic upgrades the mini3 got this year (to discourage people from buying the mini3).

The mini2 is really the best mini to get (if value is factored in of course). Next iterations of the mini won't be as amazing as the mini2 was for its time (which was, for the most part, the same as the Air2 last year)

Of course, if money is no object, just get the Air2!

7. poncekim macrumors newbie

There is no right answer. Everyone has their own preference.

Since you already have a mini, are you happy with its performance and size? Do you ever feel like its a bit slow and you want more screen real estate? Then get the Air. If not, just stay with the mini.

I have a Retina Mini and an Ipad 4. When they are sitting next to each other, I always grab the mini. Its small and light enough to hold, and it has just enough screen real estate to surf. That's how I know I'm a mini user and why I have little use for a full size iPad.

The only reason I am keeping my iPad 4 is to watch movies when I travel. That is the only time I will grab it over the mini.

8. benna thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it! :)

One of the main concerns that I was looking for an upgrade is the storage space. I don't play a lot of games, but I do watch TV shows on my iPad.

Even with basic apps like (document editing and office) my 16GB iPad is full. I cannot copy any shows into the iPad because of the lack of space, not to mention that drama that happens when an iOS update comes out (deleting apps and installing them again).

I want to get a bigger capacity iPad, preferably 64GB. I could either get the mini 64GB or get the Air 2 64GB.

Or, I could just live with it for a while longer. :confused:

9. Alex225 macrumors regular

I have a 6 but tend to take my Retina Mini with me fairly often.

The 6 is bigger and easier to read on and although smaller than the Plus I've compared the Plus to the Mini and the tablet is certainly my choice for many tasks. :)

If you fancy a bigger tablet though go for the Air and have a device for all occasions.

10. macduke Suspended

macduke

I did the exact same thing and got a 6 Plus and replaced the Mini 2 with an Air 2. The Plus was just too close to the size of the Mini for it to seem worth keeping the Mini around. For me the Plus replaced some of the things that the Mini does for me during the day, and the Mini didn't do enough for me to make it worth keeping around. I missed having a virtual keyboard that I could type on sized more like a physical keyboard (I had an original iPad and got pretty good at taking notes on it in college), I wanted a bigger screen for drawing, and I wanted the extra RAM for when I'm doing a bunch of work in Safari and quickly switching between apps. I also believe the Air 2 will get a multitasking update and the Mini won't. It's also important to note that I came from an iPad 2 before the Mini and the Air 2 definitely doesn't feel nearly as big compared to my Mini now. It really is the ultimate iPad and I feel like I'm making more compromises now for the smaller Mini than for the Air, so I switched.

11. zip macrumors member

I have the original Air, and found that it isn't as portable as I thought it would be. Other people have noted in other threads that the larger iPads are not as portable as the mini. If you get the Air 2, do you have a way to carry it around easily?

12. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Mini size is too close to 6+. Keep the 6+, return the Ipad Mini Retina and wait for the Mini 4 with Air 2 internals (2GB DRAM and tri-core). Better yet return the 6+ too and wait for 6S+ with same internals.

13. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

As mentioned above, the 6 plus is no substitute for a tablet. I know cause I have a 5.5 inch phone, a Mini 2 and an ipad 3. I don't see a sensible reason for upgrading to an Air 2 if you have last years model. Ofcourse if you won't miss the money, go for it. Next year there will be something newer and better.

14. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I think what you need, is to get the 128GB iPad Air 2!

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I love the size of the mini, but the Air 2 screen is awesome (not just size). The new laminated display but shows colors and contrast so much better than the retina mini. Personally I'm still undecided but I truly love the display on the Air 2, it's by far the best on any iPad I've ever seen.

16. wilycoder macrumors 6502

No, buy the 128 GB model or else don't call yourself an apple fan. It's what Steve would have wanted you to do.