currently shipping OS on "new" macpros

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rhapsodyosx, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rhapsodyosx macrumors newbie

Howdy:
    I noticed that apple appears to be shipping new mac pros with Lion installed.

Have the applied the obnoxious policy of not including the operating system on discs with these machines now like they have with all the other Mac lines?

Since the 'upgrade' was marginal at best, would these machines still support Snow Leopard natively out of the box?

Thanks!

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I haven't done it but I don't see any reason you couldn't do a fresh Snow Leopard install.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All currently shipping Macs ship with Lion. Lion has never been available for sale anywhere on a disc. All Macs that ship with Lion have a recovery partition.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
    Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery
    Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your Mac

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

No DVD or flash drive, just a recovery partition.

5. rhapsodyosx thread starter macrumors newbie

I somehow feel less happy about that, but thats neither here nor there.

I thought apple required an active net connection so the machine could re-download the OS, etc during recovery?

----------

Even though they're now shipping with Lion it would seem logical that these machines would still support Snow Lep as I have the discs. I find Lion to be a less than ideal update.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Lion can be recovered from the recovery partition when no internet connection is available. The only time you need to use internet recovery is if the recovery partition is deleted or damaged. The links I posted will give a more complete explanation.

7. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Pretty sure Apple do a free app to make a recovery USB drive too.

8. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think Internet recovery is an option on the Mac Pro.

Yes, the 2010 Mac Pro (the 5,1) does support Snow Leopard, but only version after 10.6.3 (I don't remember exactly which) and 10.6.3 is the last version that Apple Sold.

The 5,1 originally shipped with Snow Leopard (a later version than 10.6.3).

So you could use an early 5,1 recovery disk.
    OR
    You could use an older Mac to install Snow Leopard and then upgrade it to 10.6.8 and use that in your 5,1 (use target disk mode or physically remove the hdd).
    OR
    You could make your own 10.6.8 install disk (You can find links on how to do that).

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I recently replaced the hard drive in my Old white macbook. I had a copy of lion on there (may not have been linked to any specific app store account..... ;) )... I booted off the recovery partition on the old hard drive via USB and the damn installer asked for my app store account L/P, even though I was booted off the lion recovery (granted, on an external HD). I ended up finally spending the $30.

I just hope the recovery partition acts differently when it identifies a computer that actually shipped with Lion, otherwise swapping your boot drive and reinstalling on a new one is going to be a problem unless you've purchased a copy of lion from the app store.

Another annoying issue: The installer downloads a copy of lion which took a couple hours--way slower than a DVD install. I'ma look on BT for a full lion install DVD (all I can find is upgrade thus far) and clone it on an external drive for a *real* recovery disc, in case I need to reinstall on a day I actually have stuff to do.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothing has changed. Apple always ships the latest version of their OS on new computers. Welcome to OS X/iOS the hybrid experience.