Curret Magic Keyboard Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by intz2nu, Feb 4, 2017.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I was debating picking up the newer rechargeable Magic Keyboard and had a question of what battery life is like on a full charge, around how long could I expect it to last at very least?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple says "a month or more between charges"

This guy got about 2 1/2 months on a single full charge, as part of a hardware test.
    So, charging once a month might be your expectation "at very least"
    And, if you do get a Magic Keyboard, test it yourself. Your usage may allow you to go for a longer time - or not...

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ahhh Thanks for that bit of detail, great news as I think I'll go ahead and a pick a couple of em up for my current iMac and a Win machine I have.

4. apppen1 macrumors regular

apppen1

Mine lasts two months on a single charge. Magic mouse battery not so long.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use it a few hours a day at least and get around a month off a charge. No complaints here.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I just received one of these today and they claim the internal battery lasts 12 months on a charge! I wanted a wireless keyboard with numeric pad ... plus you can pair it with 4 devices selected by the upper right function keys.

They come in 4 colors, and there will be illuminated ones available mid year. This is the SpaceGray version.

I am currently using the Magic Keyboard and have been quite satisfied with the usage between charges. I have not had a chance to play with the new one yet.

http://matias.ca/aluminum/wireless/

3.jpg

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

only downfall to the new magic mouse is the charging (can't use when charging). but i usually will charge it while i am doing other things - just always seems to die when i am in the middle of something. the battery lasts quite a while. Same with the new keyboard

8. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ah I remember someone posting a link to these in another thread. Those keyboards do look quite nice, especially given there black-lit. I only wish they did one with white keys and a smaller size rather than the full-size that they offer. I'm still tempted to pick one of em up though. What is the battery life on those? just curious being there back-lit.

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The silver model does have white keys similar to the Mac wired keyboard. The rose-gold also has white keys.

The backlit versions are not available until mid year. They claim there is a 1.6 AH battery in these keyboards that will last 1 yr between charges. Assuming the backlit version will use the same battery and has a activity timer to turn off the backlight when not being used, I would expect excellent life between charges.

10. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

You had me hype for a sec there thinking they were gonna offer the back-lit versions with white keys. Did you pre-order one of the back-lit versions or is the one that you have the standard non back-lit version?

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The backlit ones aren't available yet ... the one I just got is non-backlit. Doesn't look like they will have a white-key backlit version, only black keys.

I see that they have a second separate battery just for the backlighting which will last 1-2 weeks before recharging. The keyboard itself has its own battery which they say will last 1 year between recharges.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

If you ever accept the size, simply:
    1. Buy the keyboard @hfg mentioned.
    2. Buy a broken Apple keyboard like this:
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 12.21.04 AM.png
    3. Pop the keys off and see if they're compatible.

13. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

That would indeed be awesome if was as easy as popping the white keys off an existing Apple keyboard and popping it on one of those back-lit ones but I don't think the light would shine through as its highly likely the keys on the back-lit board is made specifically with text that are transparent on the keys vs solid color text that light can't shine through.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Where did you see or get word of them using a separate battery for the back-lighting?

14. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

Backlighting done right — 2nd dedicated battery.
    Most backlit keyboards stop working if you use the backlight too much, running the battery dry quickly — VERY inconvenient.

For this reason, we have a 2nd separate rechargeable battery just for the backlight.

So, you can use the backlight as much as you like. If the backlight runs dry, the keyboard will still continue working off its own separate battery — for up to a year.

The backlight battery should last 1 to 2 weeks between charges, in normal use.

15. Oldmanmac, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

MM uses a lightninig caable? I looked at one and didn't recognize a port.

16. apppen1 macrumors regular

apppen1

Yes it does use lightning.