Cursor gone wild!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RSW, May 28, 2009.

1. RSW macrumors member

RSW

I just bought an iMac, and the cursor sometimes will go up and to the far extreme left, out of view, off screen. It happens quite frequently, sometimes I don't even need to touch the mouse and the cursor goes crazy. Also, this problem does not favor one side or another. Meaning it goes as much to the extreme left as it does the right. I don't know if there is some sort of software issue or if I should contact apple and get a new one <-- which is the way I am leaning.

2. djc6 macrumors 6502

Are you using the mouse on a very reflective surface? Have you tried another mouse from another computer?

3. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I think it's a problem with the Mighty Mouse- when I hook mine up to a G4 it goes up into a corner sometimes.

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

If you're using a mousepad that has a clear plastic layer on top that could be the problem (like the guy above had said). It used to happen to me because my mousepad had a very thin plastic layer, I switched it up and have not had the problem since. The laser reflects in the clear plastic causing the cursor to go nuts every now and then.

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the generic laser mouse issue. One of the reasons i like to have a decent mouse mat.

allsop do some nice ones. They do offer a 'mac' themed and 'windows' themed one but i personally use the windows themed 'Redmond' mat as it is a larger surface and much heavier.

try using the mouse on a matt surface first and if its any better then look for a new mouse mat. A cheap one will do fine for most people.

6. RSW thread starter macrumors member

RSW

Thanks for the advice! I took a mouse pad from home and it seemed to do the trick. I guess the wood from my desk was giving the optical sensor in the mouse fits? I really did not want to send it back.

Hey guys, I wanted to thank you again. My mouse problem is gone, from using a simple mouse pad. I was very worried that I would have to sent my machine back. I thought since it was refurbished imac, it might have been sent in for the cursor problem in the 1st place.

7. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

No problem, sometimes it's the stupidest, smallest things that can cause the most annoying problems lol.

8. iTiki macrumors 6502

When I first glanced at the title, I thought it said "COUGAR gone wild". I got excited until I started reading the post.....

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yeah, I have a Dell mousepad at work and the mouse starts moving toward the top left corner if I position it over the "e". I'm running Windows XP too ;)