Cursor jumps randomly and clicks randomly.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by immattsaul, Jun 28, 2010.

1. immattsaul macrumors newbie

Hey I've been looking all over the web to try and find a solution to my problem and to no avail. I hope someone here can help me out. It is beginning to get very frustrating.

My problem is that about every 15-20 minutes my cursor will start jumping around wildly and click randomly for a good 30 seconds then stop. Then I will get control of it again for about 5 seconds and it will just stop or give me trouble and then go back to the same thing. This goes on for a good couple minutes till the rainbow wheel of death comes and stays for a bit then I'm back to being okay. This happens repeatedly while I am on my computer. Which is a Macbook Pro. It happened mostly when I am on firefox which I deleted because it seemed to be the source of it for a while, but it would continue happening even after I got rid of it. I cleared my hard drive to see if that would help, but still nothing.

Someone please help me, I'm going crazy over here.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Are you using the trackpad, wireless mouse or wired?

I once heard about a guy who had problems with his mouse doing ghost movements like that, and it turned out his neighbour had gotten the same model of mouse and they were interfering with each other's signal.

3. immattsaul thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using my track pad although I do have a wireless mouse that I did try and use to see if it would fix the problem, but the problem persisted even though I wasn't using the trackpad.

4. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

What do you mean when you said you cleared your hard drive?
    Does this mean you re-installed the OS?
    What operating system do you have?

5. katycharles macrumors newbie

Me too!

I've been having the same issue! It's been going on for about a week, but only got really bad this morning. It's gotten to where I can't even really use my mouse. I don't know if it's a hardware issue, to where I've somehow damaged the trackpad, or if it's a viral thing (doesn't seem likely, since Macs don't tend to have that issue)... Should I just call up the Apple store, or are there things I can try on my own?

6. mdavies macrumors newbie

When you are typing, are you accidentally touching the trackpad? When I sometimes type on my Dad's Macbook, I don't realize it, but I am touching and clicking with the trackpad. Also, check your prefs for: 1. Is the trackpad set to ignore input when mouse is present and 2. Is the trackpad set to click when you tap.

[​IMG]

7. blunderboy macrumors 6502

This can sometimes happen because you have too much moisture on your trackpad—try wiping it off with a dry cloth or tissue. I've had this happen with other laptop trackpads, and I had thought it was something more complicated, but Apple's support page on jittery mouse input mentioned that moisture can affect the way a trackpad "reads" your finger movements.

And no, trackpad problems cannot be caused by a virus in Mac OS X. They're usually not caused by viruses in Windows, either. Not every computer problem can be attributed to a "virus."

8. jad16 macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having exactly the same problem with my mac book pro now. It's definitely not moisture or accidental tapping. I've spent a good couple of hours trying virus checkers, forums and adjusting the settings, but haven't got anywhere. Would really appreciate some help.

EDIT: I recently found the dupler/kromirani.exe virus on a thumb drive of mine. Is there any possible connection?

9. sngraphics macrumors member

I'm having issues with my cursor continuously jumping around.
    Diagonally up/left and down/right.
    I am using a MacPro running 10.6.8 and a Logitech wireless mouse.
    I also tried unplugging the Logitech and tried a wired mouse.
    No difference still jumping around.
    I tried googling this issue but just kept getting info about trackpad issues.

If anyone has any info or fixes for this it would be greatly appreciated.

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I had this problem. Turned out it was my logitech bluetooth wireless mouse, which I had in a bag downstairs from my laptop and which was connecting intermittently. Once I turned the bluetooth mouse off, my pointer started behaving itself.