Cursor won't click!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danieldjr412, Oct 22, 2009.

1. danieldjr412 macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook for about 2 years now. This is the first time I've had this problem. My cursor will move around the screen when I move it with the trackpad or an external mouse, but when I use my left mouse button or the mouse button on the laptop, the action doesn't receive and I can only right click with the external mouse. Is there any way to fix this problem and get my left-click working again? I'm running Tiger with a 250g hard drive (Which is a replacement for my previous 50g HD which failed on me).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you reboot? That solves a lot of problems, and should be one of the first troubleshooting steps.

3. danieldjr412 thread starter macrumors newbie

I rebooted multiple times. Nothing.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Prankster?

Did someone switch the Primary Mouse Button in the Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse System Preferences pane?

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Disconnect the external mouse and try. May be a settings issue.

6. danieldjr412 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to right click my way into system preferences and everything was set normally. I've unplugged and re-plugged my external mouse as well. Still nothing

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, you've had the MacBook for two years. Did you purchase Apple Care? If so, take it to an Apple Store and see if it's hardware related. It would still be covered.

Please tell me you didn't buy a laptop without the "extended warranty"! I got it for my Mini since the components are much the same.

8. danieldjr412 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll take it in and see if they can figure it out. Thanks for the help.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

10. KabukiMist macrumors newbie

Fixed

I had the same problem. The fix was actually simple. The problem was that I had 2 mice connected to my macbook: 1. My Apple wireless mouse, which was accidentally left on, and sitting in my laptop bag. 2. The wired mouse I use when I'm home.

All I had to do to get rid of the problem was turn off my wireless mouse.