Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Curve, the banking and payment service which connects several accounts to one smart card, today announced Apple Pay support for all users across Europe.

curve-apple-pay-support.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the service, Curve is a payment card that aggregates multiple payment cards via its accompanying mobile app, allowing users to make payments and withdrawals from a single card.

In other words, you can load a Mastercard or Visa debit and credit cards to the Curve app, and spend using just the Curve Mastercard.

With Apple Pay support now active, the Curve card can be added to the Wallet app just like any other card, allowing it to be used via iPhone and Apple Watch anywhere that accepts contactless payments or displays the Apple Pay logo.
"We are thrilled to announce Apple Pay is here for all European Curve customers," said Diego Rivas, Curve's Head of Product-OS. "Curve's integration with Apple Pay is a magnificent addition to Curve's unique money management features, superbly complimenting Curve's commitment to simplifying and unifying people's financial lives and enabling even more ways for customers to pay with one of the most rewarding and feature-packed personal finance products on the market," added Rivas.
Curve is available in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom (excluding Crown Dependencies Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man).

Article Link: Curve Announces Apple Pay Support for Customers Across Europe

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
Too late, Revolut already won. And they have their own physical card.

That is until local banks catch up. I'll switch to my "native" bank in a heartbeat, they're said to introduce AP in a few months.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Too late, Revolut already won. And they have their own physical card.

That is until local banks catch up. I'll switch to my "native" bank in a heartbeat, they're said to introduce AP in a few months.

Where is it too late. Curve offers a very different service to Revolut and it’s not one or the other. Revolut for me is still just a simple and cheap way to transfer money across the globe for personal or business use.

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
Sounds interesting. Can someone with a bit more experience maybe explain what’s is the difference between Curve and Revolut for example? Do I have to top up or just link the cards etc

nickwlker

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
You don't need to top up Curve card. You simply add your card(s) to the app. Then when you make a purchase - your card gets charged like it was internet payment. So keep in mind that your internet limit should be big enough to make an offline purchase. There's no FX charge as well (until some limit). You choose your original currency on the card when you add it.

Also, one of the good features is "back in time" so you can move your purchase from one card to another within 14 days after making a purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What’s the point of having this card if one has their A/M/V cards in their Apple wallet?

Is this a workaround for debit card users whose banks haven’t released their debit cards for Apple Pay? If so what’s the cost for this service?

nickwlker

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Those are for 2 cases:

1. For banks that don’t support Apple Pay.
2. To withdraw money from foreign card or credit card without a fee (200£ limit). There’s no foreign exchange fee as well.

The card is free of charge

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I tried this because my main bank does not support Apple Pay yet. I regretted it the minute I tried to contact customer support - which as I found out is close to nonexistent. So beware!

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
Where is it too late. Curve offers a very different service to Revolut and it’s not one or the other. Revolut for me is still just a simple and cheap way to transfer money across the globe for personal or business use.

Where people only use it to circumvent the lack of Apple Pay in their banks. That is, all my friends, and me. I don't need any other of the features these apps have. At all. Why do you think Revolut's userbase jumped right when they added Apple Pay? It's not that hard to connect the dots.

Also, this news is about Curve adding Apple Pay, FYI. All I was stating is that they won't get any new customers with this, whoever needed AP has already signed up to Revolut.

Reactions: nickwlker

nickwlker

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
But I would still prefer Curve. For one reason. I don’t need to top up the balance. So it just charges my real card on every purchase.
[automerge]1580236912[/automerge]
My local bank told me that they plan to support Apple Pay by the middle of February. So after that I will not need Curve.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Where people only use it to circumvent the lack of Apple Pay in their banks. That is, all my friends, and me. I don't need any other of the features these apps have. At all. Why do you think Revolut's userbase jumped right when they added Apple Pay? It's not that hard to connect the dots.

Also, this news is about Curve adding Apple Pay, FYI. All I was stating is that they won't get any new customers with this, whoever needed AP has already signed up to Revolut.

Don’t think the boonies are the main target market ?
If you live in a place like London, this isn’t an argument. Apple Pay has been around for all my cards for many years.
i didnt bother adding revolut to my wallet. Simply no reason and i stand by what I said. Curve is much more useful and will enable you to get ApplePay for all your existing cards that don’t support it yet as well. I like both services don’t get me wrong but Curve is much more useful on a daily basis helping me to carry several national and international debit/credit
Cards with me at all times.

nickwlker

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Well. This is not true for me. I am from baltic states (Estonia) and here only one bank started to support Apple Pay in the end of December. And this bank is the worst out of 3 major banks we have. They charge for every breath you take. Wanna send money inside the same bank (online) - here's a fee. Wanna have a debit card - here's a fee. Wanna have direct debit (to pay bills automatically) - here's a free for you as well. And I even not saying that on top of that you have monthly fee. The worst bank here IMO. The only big benefit - is wide range of ATMs here of this bank, but Revolut/Curve/Monese solve it.

shieldcy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
I had the same question.

I am from Europe but I still can’t see the point of Curve when you have Apple Pay and Apple Wallet (with Revolut or local bank cards) ??

The only benefit I can see is the combined stats for all cards (which the Apple Wallet doesn’t have) and the cashbacks.

Is there any other benefit or difference from Apple Pay/Wallet?

nickwlker

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
If you have your local bank card with Apple Pay - go for it. You don't need anything extra.
If you have Revolut. With Curve - you don't need to top up the balance.
As I listed above you don't top up the Curve card, it charges you each transaction separately.
So there won't be such situations when you have on Revolut 20€, but the purchase is 20.92€ and the transaction get declined due to insufficient funds on Revolut card, since it will be directly connected to your real bank card.

And other feature that is useful for some people - they can withdraw 200£/mo for free in any ATM in the world without a FX fee, even from foreign cards and from credit cards, since it acts like regular INTERNET payment.

Reactions: shieldcy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.