Curved back or iPhone 4 style back for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lilcosco08, Jun 22, 2010.

?

iPad 2 shape

1. Round back

42.0%
  2. straight back

58.0%
  1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I think that a square back would look extremely weird
    what are your opinions?

2. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

Straight back 87.69% sure. I feel like Apple will start going with clean straight flat looks instead of curved sloppy looking edges.

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

iPad 2 needs to look exactly like iPhone 4 but bigger next year. I would really appreciate that Steve.

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I voted round, iPad feels so nice to hold...I don't think you'd get the same nice feel with a flat back on such a big device.

5. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Bah... I have an Incase silicone cover on my ipad that gives it the same sort of round sides, flat back as the new iPhone. Works just fine thanks! AND... it doesn't wobble like crazy when you have it on a tabletop and are trying to type.... I REALLY don't know WTF Apple was thinking with the whole curved back!!!!

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Flat works for the iPhone because of its size. A flat backed iPad would be difficult to pick up when sitting flat of a table, and wouldn't be as comfortable to hold.

Round.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think they'll change the body style for the next iPad. If they made it like the iPhone it would be way too heavy and it's already no feather.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Straight back sure would be preferable for cases.

9. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

But what if the 2011 iPhone gets another make over? They won't match.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They'll have to make over the next iPad too then. It gives people a reason to upgraydd

11. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Rigght and that ipad will be the 2012 model with a chance of a new iphone in 2012.

But the ipad is not a phone. Its a separate product

12. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

I want it to stay the same. I'm not ready to buy new cases yet. I sure hope they don't go to a glass back on the iPad.

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

If the net result was even thinner, I would like the flat back. My guess is the next iPad will have the same body but upgraded memory and/or processor. Plus, I have 3 cases . . . so I hope the body is the same for a little while.

14. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Yeah the iPhone is a turning point in apples design theme, the new iPod touch will set the stage, if it's similar to the new iPhone than I think the iPad will too if not than... I dunno

15. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Good point

16. Grievous Angel macrumors newbie

I have a Kindle also. Very thin and flat on the back. I'd prefer that.

However, I'm guessing the curved back is an elegant way of hiding all the magnificent parts required to make this thing run for ten hours without melting down.

So I think they've done a bit of clever engineering, making it "thin" in the edges" and putting the bulk toward the middle. If they "flattened it out" it would "feel" much thicker at the edges.

I haven't seen the innards of one, but I'm guessing it's all battery.

17. jtara macrumors 65816

Jonathan Ive. Ego. Retention of an icon.

Apple needs a new designer who will allow a phone to be a phone, a computer a computer first, and a object of beauty and desire second.

Cart. Horse.

A curvature near the edges only (as on iPhone) would still allow you to easily pick iPad up off a surface. However, it would no longer serve a a teeter-totter for your small pets. Small price to pay for the ability to type on it.

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The rounded back makes it easier to pick up and to hold, but to me it's not easy to hold and use without a case anyway, so they might as well go rectangular and make more efficient use of the space. Likewise, I don't need some fancy microhexaminium substrate glass back since it's going to be covered anyway!

However, I think the rounded case may allow for a stronger case (notice the terraced interior design in the teardown photos). Those ribs provide increased strength. For something small like the iPhone this is not very important but at larger sizes where the surface area increases but the thickness does not proportionally, it matters. Similar reason to why you can drop a spider 50 feet and he'll just get up and keep walking while a human would die from that fall.

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm not sure if it's the round back or just the aluminum material, but the current iPad is slippery. I've dropped mine twice now just trying to get it to sit on Apple's iPad dock.

The new squared shape and glass combo gives the iPhone 4 a better grip. I would almost welcome it.

20. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Hmm… good points people are making about picking the iPad up. It's fine to have a completely flat backing to a small phone, but on a bigger device it's going to be difficult to pick up from a table. I can almost imagine having to slide the iPad corner off the edge of the table before I can pick it up! :confused:

Hopefully Apple will do some kind of hybrid where it's flat like the iPhone 4 but tapers elegantly and aesthetically at the edges.

22. Advil macrumors 6502a