Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

I read online news everyday. Are curved monitors good for reading text? Or are they just good for gaming?

I went to a 3C shop looking for a computer monitor, and the sales representative told me that "curved monitors are for gamers, and a flat display is better at reading texts". Is he correct?

Besides, I'll use the monitor mainly for web surfing, online news reading, video watching(YouTube, Netflix), and social media websites(Facebook), so should I geVA(Samsung)or S-IPS(ViewSonic) display? VA and S-IPS panels, which is more expensive?

What are the pros and cons of a "32" curved computer display"? Should I buy a flat or curved display with the needs listed above?

Thanks.

Ed

Last edited:

gwilliams07

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I got a curved monitor (LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch 21:9) for my last monitor and no there is no problem reading text on it. I'm a programmer so I am looking at text all day long and it is fine.

If you do graphic work, I would say stick with a flat monitor because the curve might mess with straight lines, but otherwise I really like the curve for a monitor that is basically sitting 3ft away.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

What about the VA, or S-IPS panels? Which is more suitable for me?

Thanks.

Ed

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"What about the VA, or S-IPS panels? Which is more suitable for me?"

This is probably "a wash" -- about the same either way.

Perhaps this may help (or maybe not), but for a while I was interested in curved -tv's-, until I read that the curvature can exaggerate reflections on the screen. I think I'll stick with flat displays for now.

gwilliams07

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I haven't noticed that a curved monitor exaggerates reflections anymore then any normal monitor. I could totally see that with a curved TV, but not a monitor. The biggest difference is going to be viewing difference. With a curved TV you are sitting 5ft or more away from it normally vs. a monitor you are usually a couple feet away max. It probably all depends upon the monitor itself more than anything and the coating they have on the screen.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I tried a LG 34" curved monitor at a store today. Just like a curved TV, within a minute of surfing the web I felt nausea and very sick in the stomach to the point that I would vomit if I continued to view it. From Amazon reviews, I have not heard any such complain. Is this only my problem? What is the cause?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.