CushyCMS Alternative

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aperture, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Does anyone know of an alternative solution to CushyCMS in terms of simplicity and ease of use? I'm looking for an alternative that I can host myself.

Thanks

2. werther macrumors regular

I honestly have never used CushyCMS but checked it out as a result of Pelsars decision to use it. Just from my brief overlook of it I would say ....again textpattern.

Textpattern uses a similar method of injecting the CMS into ones HTML via tag based snippets. Very easy to use.

It also comes highly recommended by the Jon Hicks (the firefox logo guy :) )

3. aksival macrumors newbie

Surreal CMS

Aperture, check out Surreal CMS. It's similar to Cushy (just as easy). Also remotely hosted, but definitely worth a look.

4. pelsar macrumors regular

looks like cushycms

it has a $25/month..i think cushy is $28 for the pro version

it seems to follow the same concept as cushycms

5. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hmm, I really wish there was something like Cushy or Surreal that you could host yourself.

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

CMS from Scratch is a simple CMS, but requires slightly more effort in setting up. If you can design and build a website to start with, you should handle this though.

7. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

That one looks cool.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Try a whole bunch of 'em out for yourself at the absolutely wonderful OpenSourceCMS site. Demos with admin CP access and ratings included so you can actually try and see how they compare.

-jim

9. pelsar macrumors regular

find anything?

i stopped using the "pro" version of cushy and now just use the free version. (budget cuts) To use style sheets i converted mine to H1, H2, H3, etc.

the biggest problem i have is my xml news ticker...the client(s) can't change them.

find anything about the "hosting" ourselves concept?

10. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

You have mentioned this one before. I really want to play around with this. It seems like it would be good for smaller sites that really don't need a database. It is on my list...

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Ah, yes! I've also written a small review on my blog (which I really must write something new on soon... lol).

I will say however that support has dwindled a bit recently and the latest version is a bit buggy, so I would recommend using 1.2.1 rather than the 1.9+ versions. Just my opinion though :) The support forum lists a load of fixes for the newest one, but its a bit of effort to be honest.

Let us know how you get on - or comment on my blog if you like... no one else seems to :(

/Doug

12. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Thanks man. I'll keep you posted. To be honest, I am not sure when I will get around to playing with it. It has been on my mind though, ever since I read one of your previous posts about it. Haha I'll be sure to comment on your blog, but I can't promise I'll say anything astounding. I am getting ready to launch my own blog probably in a couple of days. I am expecting a whole lot of not commenting to be going on on my blog as well :D

Jim, I'll be checking this site out as well. Thanks for the tip!

13. miknos Suspended

miknos

Try simpleCMS. It is free and you can brand it (put your own logo) and use the class name you want. Other hosted cms charge specially for this feature. It's like web host without ads.