Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
What a ****ing stupid idea.

Seriously, your state is nearly bankrupt and this is what the legislature is doing. :rolleyes:

Link

PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Watch your language! That was the message on Thursday from the California State Assembly, as they passed a resolution making the first week of March "Cuss Free Week." Lawmakers were inspired by a teenager from Pasadena.

For some, it's just part of their daily repertoire, but two state assemblymen from Southern California decided to take cussing to the Capitol. They have introduced a new resolution to declare the first week of March "Cuss Free Week."

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Golly gosh darn that sounds like a silly idea.

Shame on you, Pasadena. Trying to deny the sufferers of L.A. traffic their therapeutic swearing!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
All residents of California will be issues one of these for the week.
report.gif

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Sam: Percent sign, ampersand, dollar sign.
Max: And colon, semicolon too!
Psychic: What are you [bleep]ing doing?
Sam: Swearing in longhand, asterisk-mouth.

-- Sam & Max Hit the Road​

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I've always likes those Orbitz gum commercials for a dirty mouth

Wife says: You son of a biscuit eating bulldog

Husband says: What the french toast

Wife says: Did you think I would not find about your little doo doo head cootie queen

Mistress says: Who are you calling a cootie queen, you lint licker

Wife says : Pickle you QomQuat

Husband says: Your overreacting

Wife says: No, Bill over reacting was when I put your convertible into a wood chipper Stinky Mc Stink face

Mistress says : You Hoboken

Blonde girl says : Fabulous New Orbit rasberry mint cleans another dirty mouth, For a good clean feeling, no matter what

commercial

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i never swear in public or private. I dont like the actual words and tend to not want my emotions be captured by such vulgar words.

i once said "that sucks" but i rarely use the world "suck"
i dont say "ass" either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh iOrlando, The depth of your awesomeness knows no end. Humanity can sure learn a thing or two from you, that's for sure.

You realize that people should not be looked down upon for obscenities that escape from their mouths right?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
i never swear in public or private. I dont like the actual words and tend to not want my emotions be captured by such vulgar words.

i once said "that sucks" but i rarely use the world "suck"
i dont say "ass" either.

Next I guess you are going tell us you don't even HAVE an ass, cause they are so gross

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Next I guess you are going tell us you don't even HAVE an ass, cause they are so gross
I don't see how he possibly expects us to believe something like that, seeing as he shows it so well and frequently. :p

Edit: Just to keep this on topic - I think if people use obscenities to purposefully put someone down or try to offend, they should be smacked. But then again, I think that people who are offended for sake of being offended and just to criticize others, should be smacked as well.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I hear people talk about "foul" language I always wonder how certain words came to be knows as "bad", "dirty" or "vulgar"? I just think the whole thing is kind of amusing.

When my son was learning to talk he had trouble with the words "fork" and "truck" and when he said either of them you know what it sounded like. Well, I picked him up from daycare one day and the teacher asked to speak with me in the hall. She explained that he had been using inappropriate language throughout the day. I was a little confused because neither my wife nor I cuss much and especially not around our children so I was curious as to what he would have said. She explained that he had used the "F" word while playing with toys and during lunch. Duh, truck and fork. Having the twisted since of humor that I do and powerless to resist this once in a lifetime opportunity, I looked her straight in the face and said "what the F%#@'s wrong with that?" She turned red with embarrasment and stammered with her words as she tried to explain that using that type of language would not be tolerated in the classroom. I explained the joke and cleared up the matter, but it being a church daycare and all, I don't think she found it funny. :p

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
When I hear people talk about "foul" language I always wonder how certain words came to be knows as "bad", "dirty" or "vulgar"? I just think the whole thing is kind of amusing.

[...] I explained the joke and cleared up the matter, but it being a church daycare and all, I don't think she found it funny. :p

You're right, the words are arbitrary, and it's more about the act of defying the social convention that these words are "wrong". The words themselves aren't magical or anything. Of course, that goalpost moves, too, and some words that were considered vulgar and improper a few decades ago are said freely today, even on primtime television and on the news.

I choose not to swear. I swore it off, if you will :eek: Not because of any kind of holier-than-thou attitude, honest. I just don't think it needs to be part of my vocabulary, and I find other ways to express myself (try it, you might find it fun to come up with good alternate insults and expletives on your own... that commercial transcript posted above was a fun example :) ) Actually, I did offend someone when I swore, once, an intellectual young man I was mentoring who knew how I felt and thought I had more self control than that. I promised myself I'd watch my language so I could lead by example. That was in 1997, and I've kept it up thus far... of course, my definition of "swear word" is fairly strict, so I've still caught myself saying things that some people consider cussing, while others don't. And at this point it's more about how long I can keep it up (can we make it 20 years?!) than the original principle behind it.

That incident was actually in a semi-church setting, and I've since pondered a lot whether it's really "wrong" to swear. I know many church-goers who have no problem with mild cussing. They wouldn't say "G** damn you!" but they have no problem with "oh s**t!" Particularly when it's not in context, for example if you're angry and yelling a word at someone, that's different from when you're, say, repeating the punch line of a joke or quoting a movie.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003

Random fact of the day - according to a medieval literature professor I once had, many of these words date to the Norman invasion in the 11th century. Basically, the french conquered England, so the language of the court became a mix of French and the largely Germanic-at-the-time English. Because the nobles were French, use of the old English words was considered vulgar, while the use of French was proper. Over time the languages merged into modern English, but many words were duplicated. Thus we have a number of words with old English origins that are considered naughty, and some French-derived equivalents that are considered appropriate.

It all depends on the local culture -- what is common in one place might be anything from a profanity to a vulgarity elsewhere. Even the phrase "I swear" is still considered "swearing" around these parts. Folks still use "I swanee" as a substitute (I know, makes no sense, just a different sound for the same thought, but there ya go)....

Funniest story relating to that I ever heard was:

"My sweet little Southern Baptist mother-in-law used to say, 'Well, I swanee!' because heaven knows she would never swear ... until the day her daughter's dog urinated into a box fan!
:D

I have often wondered how (F)or (U)nlawful (C)arnal (*)nowledge became socially unacceptable.

I know that jailers would write those for letters on the slate outside of the jail cell as a shorthand, but how did it come to possess the bad connotations?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I have often wondered how (F)or (U)nlawful (C)arnal (*)nowledge became socially unacceptable.

I know that jailers would write those for letters on the slate outside of the jail cell as a shorthand, but how did it come to possess the bad connotations?

^^^^ I always thought it stood for (F)ornication (U)nder the (C)onsent of the (K)ing. I may be wrong though, because a kid told me that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.