Custom AND DHCP-Assigned DNS Servers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zyniker, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Is there some way to use both DHCP-assigned and custom DNS servers? My school's network seems to require use of the DHCP-assigned DNS servers to access anything outside the network (no, I'm not entirely certain what they've done with their router configuration to accomplish this); however, I do not want to remove my custom DNS servers (OpenDNS and a couple others). Therefore, I would like to have the DHCP-assigned DNS servers added either to the top or to the bottom of my DNS server list. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

2. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

To achieve this I think you would want to make a separate connection for your school and your home. Go to System Preferences > Network > Network Name > Drop down menu > Create network.

At least that's how it should work for wireless.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can have multiple DNS server specified. But, technically you cannot have custom and DHCP assigned DNS addresses. You would need to jot down the DHCP assigned DNS addresses and then create a custom list.

I would image that as long as the DHCP assigned DNS addresses are defined on your machine, you would satisfy your school's requirements.

To create a custom list, go to System Preferences > Network and click the advanced tab on the interface you want to modify. From there, click on the DNS tab and add the DNS addresses.

For Ethernet interfaces, you can define the addresses in the main window separated by commas.

See the attached image for an example.

Attached Files:

4. Zyniker thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it odd that there is no way to have both DHCP-assigned and custom DNS servers specified in the same configuration. For now, I'm simply using multiple locations. If I figure out some way to achieve my desired result, I'll update this topic.