Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Does anyone know how to create an applescript and then use it with the speech recognition technology, i.e. say its name and the script executes? I created the following applescript:

tell application "iChat"
activate
set status to available
beep
end tell

and named it "Start chatting." I want it to open iChat if it is not already open, and set my status to available. The script works fine when I double-click it. I placed it in the directory ~/Library/Speech/Speakable Items. I know that speech recognition is turned on, and "Start chatting" even shows up in the speech commands window. However, whenever I say "Start chatting," nothing happens. I know that it recognizes what I say, because the little yellow rectangle appears above the speech window. If anyone could help me, that would be great. Thanks!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Speech recognition can be a bit dodgy at best...

Try changing the names on the scripts to stuff that might be easier for it to understand. I have found that speech recognition only works for me about once every ten tries.

Macco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
OutThere761 said:
Speech recognition can be a bit dodgy at best...

Try changing the names on the scripts to stuff that might be easier for it to understand. I have found that speech recognition only works for me about once every ten tries.

Thanks, but it definitely recognizes what I say. I tried changing the name, and even though the name of the command appears above that circular window after I say it, nothing happens.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
What format did you save the script as? I tried two formats, script and application, and although it recognised both commands, only the application would be run, the script would just be ignored.

Macco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
HexMonkey said:
What format did you save the script as? I tried two formats, script and application, and although it recognised both commands, only the application would be run, the script would just be ignored.

Thanks! It works now. Speech recognition... so much fun...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.