Custom built LEGO stand for 13" MacBook Pro

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I built this stand for my MacBook Pro out of Legos a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. Existing stands on the marked seems overpriced, and I wanted the ability to adjust the precise height of the MBP screen to be even with my LCD monitor, so I made this. The stand has built in cable management and an attached USB hub. It also has a removable attachment iPod Touch stand and, most importantly, it houses a small collection of Lego figures. Tell me what you think!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=495139

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Was hoping for Lego block, not Lego technic.
Still nicely done though.
I thought of that, but Lego blocks might not hold together as well in such a simple structure as the Lego technics do, and I wanted the smooth look the Lego technics provided.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
This is what building stuff with legos - blocks of technic - is supposed to be. Creative and interesting, not following by the box instructions.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Overall, I was going to say how great it was, especially with the star wars characters but the spongebob one, just ruined it :p

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
That looks great! Now we know what to include for the MacRumors Scavenger Challenge... "Take a picture of your Mac Pro sitting on top of a stand made of toothpicks!" :D

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I'm an old-school LEGO purist, so the Technic doesn't exist for me - but that is pretty ingenious. I especially like the iPod cradle and USB hub shelf. Cool. ;)

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
Looks awesome, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with my MBP on some Legos

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I built this stand for my MacBook Pro out of Legos a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. Existing stands on the marked seems overpriced, and I wanted the ability to adjust the precise height of the MBP screen to be even with my LCD monitor, so I made this. The stand has built in cable management and an attached USB hub. It also has a removable attachment iPod Touch stand and, most importantly, it houses a small collection of Lego figures. Tell me what you think!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=495139

Good Job!

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
That is awesome. I'd be worried about sturdiness too, but the way you've got it pinned together looks pretty sturdy. :D

Great job, you should upload plans to one of the Lego community sites.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Sorry, the host is unreliable. I'll see if I can get the pics up somewhere else later tonight.

As far as the sturdyness goes, there's a little bit of wobble left to right when the MBP isn't setting on it, but that's lessened with the weight of the MBP. Structurally it's designed to support the weight of the MBP first and foremost, which is why it's triangle shaped. There's no vertical wobble or flex at all.