Custom carrier on stock iOS 5 with 4S?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zottffssen, Nov 10, 2011.

1. zottffssen macrumors newbie

I've got a 4S which is obviously not jailbroken and I'd like to change the carrier name. I know that there used to be a plist hack but I tried that and it no longer works. I have been looking around however, and noticed people saying that restoring from a backup that had makeitmine or FakeCarrier installed kept the changed carrier name.

So here's my question: If I jailbreak my old 3GS and change the carrier name then restore the backup to my 4S, will the carrier name revert to default or would I keep the custom one? The only thing stopping me from testing this is that my 3GS is now in use by my Father and I don't particularly want to inconvenience him unless I know it would work.

Cheers!

2. moargolems macrumors regular

Why would it be inconvenient for your father? After all you're just jailbreaking the phone, and it's always reversible.

Test it out, dude. I'm interested in this as well.

3. zottffssen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. zottffssen thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it with Fake Operator, no success. I also tried it with MakeItMine but that didn't appear to work at all on the 3GS even. I also tried installing NoNewsIsGoodNews to see if the setting would carry across, but no luck there either :(

5. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Also want this. I am tired on AT&T on the top left and want to customize it. Hopefully there will be something other than a jailbreak to get this .

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

7. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i think they either changed this from 4.2.1 or 4.3 (don't remember) and uses mobilesubstrate now I believe. so you need to jailbreak to change the carrier