Custom Color Macs - Anyone??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MaddieBrad, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

So my wife is using an aging old 12" Powerbook. She loves it. 1st for its size, and second for its sleek silver finish. Well since Apple went Intel on us they ditched the 12"er and forced people to either jump up to a 15" or accept having a white or black macbook. She doesnt want a black or white mac... Which leads me to this website:

http://www.colorwarepc.com

They customize Apple products, as well as Dell. They even do console gaming systems. I am so tempted to order my wife a blush pink macbook and watch her eyes light up on her birthday this month. But what im scared of is the actual quality of the paint, and what it ACTUALLY looks like. It says that the colors are metallic but in the pictures it looks quite glossy and shiny.

Has Anyone ever seen one of these customized paint jobs in person? Opinions appreciated, but I would prefer to hear from people that have actually seen these mods 1st hand.

Regards,

B

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

from what I have heard their paint jobs are awesome and they also have some proprietary paint that is near impossible to scratch. Let is know how you like it!

3. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

Wow that macbook pro looks awesome in black and white!!!

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Don't buy anything from them.. my old roommate ordered an iPod from there and they tried to charge him twice.. took a bunch of calls to them and to the bank before he got the order canceled and got all of his money back.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The black Wii too!!!

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think all their products look awesome. Though I feel unless they do have some kind of scratch resistant paint that they would only look awesome for a short time. I would love to hear from someone who has actually purchased from them.

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

What color does she want her 12" PowerBook G4 to be?

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ive yet to see a MR member with one that has posted a "THIS IS AWESOME" thread about colored macs. Maybe someone can point me to that thread?

Id like an almost full paycheck paint job to be quite durable. And Id argue THAT kind of durability can only come with powder coating, which aint happening here.

EDIT: oooh they use a proprietary secret lacquer formula that seems, most likely, based off of dentist materials.

9. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

She doesn't want her 12" powerbook to be anything.... SHe wants a 12" macbook pro but that aint happenin' any time soon... So I was gonna get her a 13.3" macbook and custom paint it. I was thinking perhaps the obnoxious metallic pink color. I would really like to hear from anyone who actually has seen one of these paint jobs in person. Is there anyone out there??? Obviously they are not on MR. Spread the word people... We are on a hunt for a custom color mac owner!!!!

B

10. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I am not going to base my decision on whether or not to purchase based on a billing error. They are a reputable company and I am sure the billing error was resolved in the end. My concern is only with the quality of the product. I want to know what they actually look like, and how durable they are is all!

B

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure of the quality of their product/service. But if your wife wants a unique, albeit cool looking, MacBook- ordering from them seems to be the way to go. :)

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would not by it new from them. I did not see anything on their site showing them as an Authorized Apple Reseller, which could have negative implications if your mac needs repair or is part of a recall.

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I saw one of their products two years ago, a classmate of mine has her ibook done in the poppy red color, she carried the ibook in her backpack without a case and the finish on it was flawless. no scratches, no chips and smooth.
    I was impressed , it looked like it was made that way from the manufacturer.

I was using a macskin on mine ( macskinz.com) to give a face lift. I nearly did get the iBook redone in the midnight blue...
    but instead bought my current model 15" PB.

16. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Nice one... After looking at this site I ordered a White Macbook and got the light pink Macstyle and the palmrest thingy. I can't see myself spending all that money for a paint job and then having the warranty voided. I asked Colorware if their warranty that they offered covered software and telephone supprt and they said it only covered hardware. And you need to ship it to them at your own cost. Yes.... I vinyl sticker will have to do for me.

Thanks for the post.

B

17. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Thanks for the compliments, guys. One thing you have to do when applying the Macstyle is be very careful. I ended up with a few bubbles I needed to pop with a knife.

Hmm, I suppose if you're crazy and dedicated enough, you could paint your mac and then get a macstyle/skin for even more color customization.

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

19. ptjh macrumors regular

I said the new MBP should come in all black - colorwares black MBP is sick!!! :eek: