iPhone Custom Colored SMS Bubbles

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by anonymous6237, Aug 5, 2010.

1. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I have seen a couple people asking about custom SMS bubbles. I have made a couple colors and I figured I would offer them if anyone is interested. Attached is a screenshot of red and blue

Attached Files:

2. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Thanks for the link. BiteSMS pulls from the stock images for the SMS bubbles so replacing the files should work for either Bite or the stock Messaging app

3. king001 macrumors newbie

4. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I definitely want to use red and blue, but the ones on the link where too light and I didn't care for them, how can I go about doing it myself for using a red/blue more like the ones the OP posted a pic of? (I am using bitesms)

5. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I'll work on the black and purple ones and get them back to you (not sure about black text on black though...have to figure out how to change font color). I'll also post the original red and blue at the same time.

6. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I know this may seem a bit high maintenance, but could you give me a breakdown of HOW to do install it manually? Because last time it was just something it automatically did through winterboard.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Except it isn't, at least not for me. I've altered most of the "...@2x" icons in the app folder and transferred them back to the device and nada. Sigh. This was so friggin' easy on the 3GS. I tweaked EVERYTHING.

...on that note, has anyone located where Apple now keeps the .png files for the original SMS app's bubbles on the iP4? I haven't been able to locate them as yet.

Edit: I'm a moron. I searched and actually found them. Same location as before, apparently, though I didn't remember that (I also hadn't changed the bubbles since right after I jailbroke last August).

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework/

and Balloon_1.png is outgoing
    Balloon_2.png is incoming

Thanks to dhlizard who posted the original info. :)

Edit again: They're all showing up as what looks like blank masks (image appears blank when opened, solid black when viewed in explorer.) Grrrrrrrrrr.

8. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

These are the Red and Blue bubbles as shown in the first post

Ok here is the link to the files you will need: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6688660/SMS Bubbles.zip

There are a couple ways you can implement this:

With Winterboard

1) Download and Unzip the files linked above.
    2) Via SSH, copy the entire "SMS Bubbles" folder into the "/private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx" folder on your phone
    3) Respring and activate newly added theme in Winterboard
    4) Respring again and enjoy

Manually via SSH

1) Download and Unzip the files linked above.
    2) Via SSH, navigate to "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework"
    3) Copy the 2 png files from the unzipped folder into the Chatkit.framework folder AFTER backing up the original "balloon_1@2x.png" and "balloon_2@2x.png" files.
    4) Respring and Enjoy

NOTE: This will only work on an iPhone4

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks so much for those! That was all I needed...just the original (or a usable derivative) damn .png. I don't know why Apple's made them harder to work with this time around, unless something's just odd on my end and they actually do show up normally for everyone else. Were you able to view all of the image contents of that folder normally?

10. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

Use this http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Fix_iPhone_png_FixPngDroplet

11. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Apple encodes the images in a way that allows the phone to load them faster. Just use the link from the above poster to fix it when you need an image from the phone.

12. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Attached Files:

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks, all. I have a PC so I'm checking out solutions for Windows that don't involve a giant PITA process to go through and/or run the risk of damaging all pngs present on my hard drive. I don't know why or how, but I'd all but swear that I didn't have to go through all of this crap last summer when I was tweaking everything I could get my hands on.

ETA: Duh, I'm a moron again. It's because I was tweaking the stuff inside themes that already worked with Winterboard. So someone else had done all of the hard work first. Oh, how I miss those days. ;)

14. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

This is what i have running, its pretty nice :D
    You just theme a couple very small pictures.
    [​IMG]

15. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6688660/iphone-fixpng_en.zip

This is what I use on windows. Unzip the folder and place the pngs from the phone in the folder named "png". Then run "iPhoneFixPng.exe" and the fixed pngs should be in the "Fixed" folder.

I can't remember where I got this from but it's pretty awesome.

16. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Sweet, thank you! I'll give it a shot.

17. king001 macrumors newbie

well i really just need the purple i just keep the stock gray one. i forgot thats how i had it pre-iphone 4 and about the text problem ;) thanks for the heads up.

18. geque75 macrumors regular

When I copy files, for example 'baloon_1.png' from the ChatKit folder, I cannot open or view the image on my computer... It is coming over blank. How can I open this image?

Thanks

19. king001 macrumors newbie

you can't see the images directly from the iphone because apple encoded them for them to load faster you have to convert them. I read that somewhere. but u can just use the ones that are posted here.

i posted the bubbles i want but those are the iphone original version i need them for iphone 4. and i added the red one posted b4 i guess you can change the color in photoshop but i tried but i cant quite get it like the ones i posted for iphone 2g-3gs

Attached Files:

20. anonymous6237 thread starter macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Here you go

Attached Files:

21. geque75 macrumors regular

Thanks. I actually found a program called 'fixpngWindows' that will convert the encrypted .png files to a veiwable format. Works well.

22. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

love that picture, possible to get it a bit lighter though? like lilac lol? i figured text would look kind of hard to read on a color that dark.

23. king001 macrumors newbie

okay yeah that's what I read about but i have a mac so i wouldnt of known where to get it and try myself before i recommended it ;)

24. king001 macrumors newbie

thank you very much.:apple: