Custom config order store pickup in Oregon = no sales tax?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by earthbound, Jun 12, 2012.

1. earthbound, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

earthbound macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm planning to buy a new Macbook Air. I have an educational discount since I'm a university faculty member, but since I was thinking of visiting Portland, OR at the end of the month (I'm a Washington state resident), I thought maybe I can save even more money by picking up my order there.

Has anyone from Oregon's neighboring state order a custom config Mac online and choose to pick it up in Portland's Apple Store? If so, did you have to pay sales tax?

When I chose to pick the order up in Oregon through the Apple online store, the sales tax disappeared from my order, but I want to make sure and hear anyone else's experiences.

Thank you.

2. lostless macrumors 6502

Since you are picking up and buy in OR, you don't have to pay sales tax. Just as if you just bought anything in any store in OR.
    But most states have something called "use tax". WA has it. Meaning when you do your taxes, anything, including stuff you bought out of state (even if you already paid the other states tax), at a garage sale, sold on websites that don't charge tax, ect, you need to claim everything you did not pay WA sales tax on and pay the sales tax on it.
    Now the question is how many people actually keep track of every purchase they made with no sales tax in a year and report it. Just think about that