Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac users in India now have the option of custom configuring their machines, offering significantly greater options as Apple seeks to increase its presence in the country, reports TechCrunch.

macbook_pro_india.jpg
"This is a very huge deal," said Preshit Deorukhkar, a Mumbai-based executive who closely tracks Apple development. "Previously, there was no real way to get a built-to-order or configure-to-order Mac in India. So you were stuck with the base models -- say a Mac Mini or 13? MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM. Now that the company is officially offering this, you get the computer you want and the standard warranty on it."
Customers looking to purchase a built-to-order Mac in India may, however, have to wait a while to receive their orders, as TechCrunch says it is aiming to fulfill orders within four to five weeks.

Apple has been seeking to expand both sales and protection in India, which has so far been relatively untapped by the company. Sales of Apple products have long been limited to third-party resellers in India, but recently loosened restrictions have allowed Apple to move forward with plans to sell directly to customers. Apple is reportedly set to begin online sales in India later this year, and the company has been scouting for retail store locations in the country.

Apple's manufacturing partners currently have relatively small operations in the country, largely focused on older iPhones, but Apple is said to be very interested in expanding production.

Article Link: Custom-Configured Macs Now Available in India

Reactions: DRango Rachit

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Something we’ve had in the USA for nearly 20 years! The mind boggles that a country as large as India didn’t have BTO options until the year 2020.
I think it has more to do with the sales channel than the production since most of the BTO Macs to US also comes from China, so its more of routing whats coming to USA to India. Apple doesn't seem to have an official store front in India (apple.com) doesn't sell so I wonder how they are selling it as mentioned on this article.

Reactions: Blackstick

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Its surprising that an economy as large as India with a yuge service and IT sector has not had until this point an official Apple presence, I guess this must be perhaps due to the protectionist laws of India, otherwise makes no sense. By some estimates India will overtake China as the world’s largest economy by 2050.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2019
Well I hope they fix my 2017 Macbook pro screen first for free as it's giving me those horizontal lines.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Its surprising that an economy as large as India with a yuge service and IT sector has not had until this point an official Apple presence, I guess this must be perhaps due to the protectionist laws of India, otherwise makes no sense. By some estimates India will overtake China as the world’s largest economy by 2050.
For a variety of reasons India has not become the economic powerhouse many have been predicting for at least the past twenty years. I don't want to get this moved to the political section as I have no agenda but as an outsider one can only be surprised, shocked, sad (many feelings may apply) at the tremendous diversity in India. Millions and millions of residents with no toilets but the country has a space program. Not saying this is right or wrong, it just is what it is.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
When are we getting the Apple stores?! This is a good step in the right direction. Hope with local manufacturing the prices getting rationalised. People won’t mind paying products similar price points as in USA (again, NOT at the current exchange rate values). Many of the serviceable components to be made locally so that parts replacements can be managed better!
My late 2013 15 inch MBP requires battery replacement which they say end of life not possible! No way to get it replaced!

Last edited by a moderator:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wonder if they did this because sales are down, especially on BTO right now given the state of the world.

So what are the chances we might get a small spec bump or price reduction on some components for the 16" MBP at WWDC? Has Intel updated their CPUs that fit this TDP yet? I know 10th gen is out but I wasn't sure if it was just for the 13" sized CPUs. Would be nice to get a little bit of a price drop on RAM and SSDs.

coderaky

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
rumors say that Apple will open physical stores in India by 2021 and online store by Q3 of this month
At last happening something good in 2020.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Jobs' India connection, though, preceded his trip. As a penniless college drop-out, he would walk seven miles every Sunday to get a free meal at the Hare Krishna temple. He also retained a lifelong admiration for Mahatma Gandhi. In 1997, Apple's 'Think Different' ads, which featured his personal idols, included the Mahatma.
Tough India visit led him to question many illusions

Steve Jobs' trip to India was eventful, to put it mildly. He arrived in India, accompanied by his friend Dan Kottke, who later became Apple's first employee.

Credit for this part of your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.