Custom document icons ignored by dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tigersoul, Sep 20, 2011.

1. tigersoul macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've successfully changed icons for some folders I've dragged to the dock, but when I tried changing the icon of a document in one of these folders the generic icon is still being showed in the dock folder. Also, it seems to ignore the "hide extension" setting of files. Are these basically limits of the dock or am I doing something wrong?

2. tigersoul thread starter macrumors newbie

After some fiddling around it seems that:

- A generic icon is used for documents in folders put in the dock - BUT - if you rename the document after adding it to the dock, it's custom icon WILL be read by the dock correctly. Why is this not done in the first place? We're talking about a .webloc file here incase someone wants to test for themselves and this is on lion.

- The "hide extension" setting is not handled by the dock either - BUT - if you don't have the "show all file extensions" setting checked in finder preferences and rename the file and remove the extension including the perioder what happens is that the file will have the same name but finder checks the "hide extension" setting for the file AND by this method the dock actually removes the extension aswell.

Would love to hear whether these are OS bugs or what's up with this! Like I said it regards .webloc files (urls, just drag them to the desktop from the address bar) and on lion.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click or Control-click on the Dock icon to select Display as: Folder or Stack. Also, anything on the Dock is an alias (shortcut). You can edit any alias and remove the extension, as it's not needed for aliases.

4. tigersoul thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had the particular folder on the dock set as a folder all along, that much I was aware of. It does however change icon wise to reflect if what's in the folder is a file or an alias as it shows the little arrow for aliases.

Anyway folder was set and I still had this little weirdness going on, is it "normal" or something that's strange on my macbook?