custom dual sidebar and folder icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by donbenjy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2008
    Hey, hopefully this is gonna make sense:

I'm trying to get custom icons to show up in Finder's sidebar for my own folders, but I want them to stay as the default icon when viewed in Finder, if that makes sense? In the same way that Applications in the sidebar has the A kinda thing with the pencil, but when in finder, it's a blue folder with that logo embossed. I know you can change the standard ones in Canybar and Liteicon, but I can't seem to be able to change my own folders! I might be being stupid, but does anyone know how OS X determines the special sidebar icons, and is there any way I can alter this for my own ones?

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2008
    United States
    i can't verify this right now, but i'm thinking that all you have to do is right click on the folder, choose get info. Then drag a picture you want to use as the icon on top of the picture/icon currently used in the top left corner. Hit backspace/delete to undo your changes.
  3. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2008
    yeah, that changes the icon, but it does it for both the sidebar icon, and the finder one! I don't think it's gonna be a user-accessible thing - I'm thinking terminal :)
  4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Make an alias of the folder.. My 'Applications' folder in finder has the "A" and the one on my Dock is Black. I created a folder, created alias's of the folders I wanted on my dock, then adjusted the folders as needed.

This was a previous tip on Mac OSX Hints to get the "Drawer Icon" effect posted here and on the web a while back before we can actually have a choice of the "Folders" and we were stuck with the recent file thing.
  5. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2008
    hmmm...doesn't work for the sidebar unfortunately - you can't drag aliases in, so it's kinda pointless unless I actually hide the original folder elsewhere, but then it won't be in my documents hierarchy...guess there is no real way to do it? :(