Custom firmware for 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CryingElectron, Oct 20, 2010.

1. CryingElectron macrumors newbie

Hi,

Since we all know that Pwnage Tool for 4.1 is out. Unluckily, I am a Windows user. :(

I was wondering if there is any site from where I can download a custom firmware (ios4.1) for iphone 3gs cooked with pwnage tool 4.1???? :confused:

Thnx,
    CryingElectron

2. Timbalan macrumors newbie

Very similar situation, exact except that I see a couple floating around on a torrent site. Just the same those are kind of a cross your fingers that the uploaded doesn't just wanna f@#$ you over type of shady deal.

If there was a friendly Mac using member that wouldn't mind cooking up a fresh 3GS 4.1 file for us windows unlockers. Coming from a trusted source sure would make me feel all warm an fuzzy inside. I'd greatly appreciate it and I can think of at least one more (OP) that would too.

On the other hand, maybe ih8sn0w will release Sn0wbreeze 2.1 sooner rather than later an we can do it ourselves.

3. singhy44 macrumors member

I'll offer to do it, having just now jailbroken my iPhone 3G with the new PwnageTool.
    I do understand if you don't trust me, but I give you my word. That's the best I can do I guess.

4. silentsim macrumors regular

I can do it when I get home, but I'd need a place to host the file then.

5. CryingElectron thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds good, infact great...!!! :)

So, can you, well, create a custom firmware of ios 4.1 using pwnage tool 4.1 for iPhone 3GS. Since we rely on unlock, you need to click 'NO' when Pwnage Tool asks you to 'Do you have iPhone 3G,3GS,4 contract that would activate normally through iTunes?'...

Thanks in advance...
    -CryingElectron (not crying at the moment :p)

6. CryingElectron thread starter macrumors newbie

You can upload the files at MegaUpload and tell us the download URL.

7. singhy44 macrumors member

Yep, I'll do it. Megaupload, Mediafire, (not rapidshare :p) no problem.
    I suspect I'll have time later today, it should be up by this evening (BST).
    Just to confirm, iPhone 3GS, 4.1, preserved baseband. Anything else, expert mode etc?

8. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Can someone get me the file for a 3G, activated, and preserved baseband for 4.1.

9. dr bishop macrumors member

hey guys I found http://iphoneblogr.com/ this site all custom firmwares available to download. But I'm not sure to use on windows. Is it working without error? Did anyone success ?

10. singhy44 macrumors member

That's always an option, but there's always the trust element as well.

@iphonegeek, I've got one which I used on my iPhone, the only thing is it's expert mode, all I did was install sbsettings and five icon dock, but they needed reinstalling after the restore. You can always just remove them in Cydia, it's not much of a hassle. I can give it to you now if you like. EDIT: currently uploading to 2shared, will take over an hour apparently :(
    The 3GS one should be done by this afternoon (BST/GMT+1), will post when it's done.

11. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Do these include a way to get around the error 16xx windows users are getting?
    You can't just restore a PT made firmware in windows...

12. singhy44 macrumors member

You can't?
    That sounds like a problem...

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You can but you must all ready be pwned and on the update train.

14. dave23232 macrumors newbie

Can't even if you're pwnd. It's been documented. People are trying to find a way around that. Pwngetool DFU button is more than just a timer in this version. It actually pushes an exploit for iTunes. You can't just put the phone in DFU without pwngetool. You will get errors. Even if you've been pwnd before!

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

At least for the 3GS you can't even if you had been pwned before.

True, don't know were you read it to say it's been documented, but that's the suspicion everyone has to make the jailbreak untethered.

If you are on WIN you are SOL if you want to use a custom firmware this time around.

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You don't have to go into DFU. PT asks if you've been pwned then advises you to go into recovery and install via itunes. I know what PT's DFU button does but thanks for trying to tell me something I already know.

I haven't tried it but it should not matter seeing as how you don't need to go into DFU to perform the restore.

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Well that's one way to get sued by apple i guess. Kudos for having the balls to do that.

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

He's going to get sued because he found a site on the internet? That site has hosted burned firmwares for a while now..

19. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The site would be sued, not the guy who posted a link to the site..............

20. dave23232 macrumors newbie

people have tried by answering yes to the "have you been pwnd" before question when building the ipsw. still getting errors.

you have to be in DFU mode and it has to be through pwngetool at this point in time

Spend sometime in the Dev-Team forum

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Lol I figured as much but when you quote someone and say kudos instead of kudos to them, it sounds like your referring to the person you quoted.

22. jlluna macrumors 6502

You cant not use a Custom Firmware 4.1 without Pwnage tool. It wont work. You need Pwnage tool to put iphone into dfu mode. I know that before you could just put phone in dfu mode without Pwanage tool, But not with this version, And if you try to put it in recovery and try to restore, You will get an error.

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

nope, this version of PT is different. For the 3GS for example after it creates the custom fw it goes straight into the DFU sequence (which is a different one internally inside PT than the normal DFU we all know) then it tells you to open iTunes. I did a custom fw and and closed PT then tried to restore in iTunes the new custom fw w/out doing the DFU inside PT and got an error and couldn't install it (on a Mac of course). I had to open PT and do the DFU from inside of it then close it to be able to actually restore the device in iTunes even though I was already pwned before. This 3GS pwnage is not the same as last time which is why you can't even select custom boot logos anymore for the 3GS, but you still can for the 3G. Until you try it you can't really comment and say things that don't work on it since this time PT is a little different than usual.;)

24. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Since when did the Dev-Team start a forum? Oh, that's right they don't unless your talking about comments on the blog post which is mostly people asking stupid questions. No thanks.

25. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Maybe, I testing it out now on a 3gs had only done the 3g so far(which is the same) since my 3gs is already on 4.1 with snowbreeeze. So maybe they got lazy and decided to put all 3gs owners in the same boat to try to make it fool proof for people who don't know if they've been pwned or if they are new or old bootrom. Because there is no reason to switch exploits especially considering the new one is a teather without the kernel exploit which can/will be fixed.

"Through a combination of the recently released geohot limera1n exploit , @comex’s recently released pf kernel exploit, and our original pwnage2 exploit, PwnageTool 4.1 4.1.1 works untethered on these devices at firmware 4.1:"

With that above and a mention that people on the train would stay on it with 4.1 it's not a huge leap to see that they dropped the ball for 3gs owners.