Custom firmware????

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by paranoia101, Dec 29, 2010.

1. paranoia101 macrumors member

Hi guys, I'm sort of new to this forum and have been reading it for a year now. I have an iphone 3gs with modem firmware 05.15.04. I have been told that if you upgrade it to the ipad baseband , you won't be able to update your firmware unless you use custom firmwares. What are custom firmwares? Ihave been searching for answers for days now, pls help me out.:confused::apple:

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Custom firmware are exactly what they sound like, they are 'Custom" build firmware (different from the stock firmware from Apple) that pack additional stuff and modify some files. The only tool that currently can "cook" custom firmware is "Pwnage tool" from the dev team.

3. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean cook? If I want to update to a later firmware after 4.2.1, how do I get a custom firmware for that?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Cook meaning you make it in PwnageTool (mac only). You can either make one yourself or download from a trusted site that has them made by users.

5. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

If you don't mind me asking, could you give me an example 'cos I cant seem to find one...:confused:

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Firmware has the extension .ipsw. A custom one will add some extra information in the filename to differentiate it from stock firmware.

If you look in the archives, look for myzhi's dictionary of jb/unlock terms. It's a good start.

7. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

Done, that , I still don't understand how that helps me find a site to down load customfirmware.It woulkd be really helpful if you could provide me with a link.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Link to such files is against forum rules, quick google search will give you several.

9. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

:D:D:D:DAwww, shucks... I'll try, but HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

Im getting reli sick n tired of searching so do u all think that the dev team will be releasing an unlock for my firmware anytime soon?

11. maturola, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Nobody but the Dev team knows that information, waiting is the only option for the rest of us.

12. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Guesses based on what information?

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

My guess is that it will be out when its ready ;)

15. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member

ok, let me be more specific. Guesses WHENit will come out?

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Tell you what, why don't you get off your can get some skills and unlock the thing yourself? Then you can have a little understanding on the timescale involved. Set your own due date etc. People will worship you if you do it, and you get tons of hatemail just like your last couple of posts if you find you cant do it.

17. paranoia101 thread starter macrumors member