Custom "From" Address in Mail.app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bernie-Mac, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

You know how on gmail if you forward all your email to that address you can set up a custom from address so it seems like you sent it from the address the forwarded mail comes from? Is there a way to switch back and forth between the two addresses in the mail.app on the iphone or would i just have to do it on gmail in safari?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It is not possible to do this in Mail. Either another oversight on Apple's part or a deliberate crippling of the iPhone - whatever the reason, you're SOL. :(

3. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

4. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You can do what the OP wants. I have my work email forwarded to a gmail account that I access on my iphone, but responses appear as from my work address or mt gmail address, whichever I choose.

I don't have time to explain it properly now or to provide a link because my kid is in the hospital and I'm on no sleep, but basically it involves an smtp server that allows you to send email "from" whatever address you want (I use comcast.net) and setting up an other/imap mail account on the iphone using whatever email address you want to use and the smtp server for outgoing mail. Sorry, I can't explain it better now, but I'll try at some point if no one else posts it in this thread.