Custom Icon problem in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mikel30, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

I had custom icons for iTunes, Mail, Safari and iChat, but when I installed SL, they were all reset to the original icons. The problem is that it won't let me edit the icons for any of these apps. Has anyone else run into this problem (or try it out and see if it works for you)?

2. RikT macrumors newbie

I think I had the some problem you had, what worked for me was changing the icon, rebooting, remove application from dock and then start the application. I changed the icon using CandyBar, but I guess the same helps for changing icons in the finder.

Maybe you don't have to reboot, I was just trying some things that might work.

3. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Has anyone tried Liteicon. Wondered if it worked in Snow Leopard.

4. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I used CandyBar to change all of my icons after updating to 10.6 with no issues.

5. MacCait macrumors newbie

MacCait

I'm not familiar with CandyBar. I am having the same problem with custom icons. I tried rebooting to no avail. Usually I simply copy and paste custom icons that I download from apple.com. (I don't have a downloaded program to change icons for me) If anyone figures this out please let us know. I'd prefer not to download ANOTHER program to do something if I can continue copying and pasting ;)

6. RikT macrumors newbie

Did you try removing the application from the dock and starting the application? That helped for me.

7. LbrTradr macrumors member

Go to "Get info" and then give read & write permissions to all names (bottom of window). Change icon and then you can revert back to read only permissions.

8. MacCait macrumors newbie

MacCait

Thanks a ton LbrTradr!!! This did the trick. You're awesome:) One question though...Why would I want to revert back to read only permissions?

9. LbrTradr macrumors member

If you're the only one using the computer and you have sharing disabled it probably doesn't matter. If you have sharing enabled and others have access to your files, folders, and applications and you give them read & write permissions they can make changes. I am the only user on my computers and I keep sharing off and leave permissions at the default. This way if I was to enable sharing for someone I can go to the specific file or folder and give them read & write permission and not go through all files, folders, and applications to see where they are set.

10. MacCait macrumors newbie

MacCait

ahh, I see. Just genius all the way around ;) There was another question I wanted to ask, but can't remember now. Will post when I do. Have a great day everyone!!:)

11. 1nh0k0 macrumors newbie

Thank You

dude LbrTradr,
    i made an account just to tell you your tip helped me BIG time. i simply had to give you props. thanks. :D

12. LbrTradr macrumors member

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

13. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I clean installed SL on all my Macs, and migrated my "Master" installation onto the laptops. This meant installing all the applications onto the Master MP and running migration assistant during the install of SL on the laptops.

It worked fantastically onto my MBP, but not so on the MBA, but the only outstanding issue I have is the icons:

I have Adobe CS4 Suite installed, and it is organised in a lot of folders in the Apps folder. All of these folders have unique icons. On my MP, and the MBP, these icons were preserved during the migration. However, on the MBA they all reverted back to vanilla folder icons. I have tried to change them to the correct icons, but to no avail. I tried the tips above, but I copy the correct icon, I open up Info, I select the wrong icon, and I paste, and nothing happens. I changed the permissions, and I have tried other icons, but it seems I cannot paste the icons.

What gives? :confused:

14. MacCait macrumors newbie

MacCait

Does anybody know why the icon does not show up in the dock for an application? The icon shows in the finder and "Get Info". I've quit the application, restarted my computer, turned my computer off for a few minutes...... iCal has never "held" an icon although the icon shows up in the finder and "Get Info". Thanks!!

15. LbrTradr macrumors member

Have you tried dragging the icon from the finder window to the dock?

16. staysail40 macrumors newbie

Icon Changes in Snow Leopard

Hi - had img2icns recommended to me but I can't get the new icon to paste onto the old one in information....has anyone else used this programme successfully?I notice that SL has the icons suffixed .apps, not icns. Could this be the problem?
    cheers
    Staysail.:eek:

17. MacCait macrumors newbie

MacCait

This worked! Thanks so much. Although iCal still doesn't show the icon in the dock...only in finder and "Get Info".

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iCal is a bit of a nuisance to change, because of its dynamic dock icon that reflects the current date. Alas, I don't know of a way to work around this.

19. somesby macrumors newbie

For me to change icon in Snow Leopard I had to open the new icon's png file in Preview, Select All and Copy. Then I had to open the Info dialog (Cmd+i) for the app or folder whose icon I want to change, change permissions to Read+Write, and then paste the contents of the clipboard (Cmd+v) onto the small icon in the top left.

20. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

thanks, this is the only thing that worked for me.

21. golder macrumors newbie

custom icons in dock

OK I have just got a brand new MacBook Pro to replace my old Powerbook G4.
    It's wonderful of course but all my old custom icons will not go into the dock. They have all imported fine to the finder lists but when I drag them to the dock they change at the release of the mouse into a boring old file folder. I have tried everything on this thread (I think) and no cigar.