Custom icons for folders?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tuna, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

I never liked the way that apple does folder icons in iOS. I much prefer the way they do folder icons on Mac OS with the "file folder" metaphor with a symbol on the file folder communicating the contents.

Now that I'm jailbroken, is there a way for me to customize my file folder icons?

In case it is relevant, I am using five-column springboard, gridlock, FolderEnhancer, and I have Winterboard (which is how I have that beautiful custom icon for BiteSMS).

[​IMG]

God the standard iOS folder icons are ugly. Especially when you have a bunch of them.

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

bump - In the post your home screen thread people post icons. How would I go about retrieving that icon and using it in my theme?

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You can create custom folder icons using Categories (think that's the name of it) in Cydia. You cannot do so using FolderEnhancer as I have that same issue. I contacted Ashikase about this and he stated that it was simply too much work to get FolderEnhancer to allow folder icons.

So you're stuck with living with what you got now or uninstalling FE and buying Categories.

4. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Use the Folder Icons tweak. Put the images in the directory specified in the app.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Categories doesn't work on 5+

But indeed FolderIcons does and is free with a possibility to donate.

6. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Whilst on the subject, know of any good icon repos?

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Most good icon themes are released on either MacThemes, dBar or through the Theme It app. Not sure if any repos have any good icon themes.