Custom Icons Won't Transfer From External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sportsfrk214, May 8, 2016.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm having an issue that I hope someone on here can help me with. I'll give you the specs of what I'm using since that might prove to be helpful

Early 2015 Macbook Pro running the latest El Capitan
    2 Western Digital My Passport External HD's formatted with Windows NTFS
    Latest version of Paragon NTFS for Mac

Ok so here's the problem. I have a lot of home videos that I transfer to my computer. I usually open these videos in Quicktime, pause the video at a notable moment, and copy the frame as an image. I then go into the file and paste that image as the file icon. This makes it really easy to look through many files and know which ones are which without watching them. I then transfer these to my external HD and everything is good.

My external HD was getting older, so I decided to buy a new one. I transferred all my files from the old one directly to the new one, and found that on my new external drive, all those custom image icons I had set were completely gone. Not only that, there was no preview shown at all on the icon - it was just a generic MPEG-4 icon.

As an experiment, I tried first transferring the files from my old HD back to my Mac, but that didn't work either - the files on my Mac exhibited the same problem.

I'm wondering if anything has a simple solution to this. I'm thinking that because I'm using an NTFS file system on a Mac, that may be where the issue lies, but I can't be certain. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

NTFS has never worked that great for me under OS X when it comes to thing like that.