Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Hi all,
last week I've installed Lion on my 1,1 MacPro but unfortunately I cannot select a custom installation (common issue around). Is there a way to delete all the additional packages I used to not install with all beloved previous MacOS X versions?? (ie: additional languages and/or software and/or drivers) SSD are amazing but pretty small... so any additional MB is very appreciated!

Now I'm ready to install Lion on my MacBook and I would like to do the same thing... maybe I should I burn a DVD from Apple's thumb drive to enable custom install button? If so is there a tutorial? There are a lot of tutorials for the downloaded version but none about how to burn a disc from Apple's original thumb drive (there is not InstallESD file inside that thumb!).

One more thing... Installing directly from the thumb drive (booting from it) is like the installer first copy all the stuff to the HD and than it start the real installation directly from the destination HD... am I wrong? No way to get things to old DVD-based installations, isn't it? :cool:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Lion installer has far fewer customization options than previous versions of OS X. The method you use to install Lion doesn't change that.

Part of Apple's thinking may be hard drives are larger now. And also fewer install options means less variation on what's installed if troubleshooting is needed.

Caesar_091

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Italy
Does anybody has an idea at least on how to enable the custom install button? :confused:

----------

The Lion installer has far fewer customization options than previous versions of OS X. The method you use to install Lion doesn't change that.

Part of Apple's thinking may be hard drives are larger now. And also fewer install options means less variation on what's installed if troubleshooting is needed.

Sorry but I haven't seen you answer before posting my last message.
The strange thing is that THERE is a custom button but it's greyed out... is it strange, isn't it? ...or it just me? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.