Custom Install OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andrew D., May 10, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I was reading around here before about custom installing OS X to save some room and not install unecessary things. Can anyone tell me where a guide is or just how to do it? I just got my MacBook so I don't mind starting from the beginning again. Also, how do you reformat the drive and stuff? Excuse my newbiness. Thanks a bunch!

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Pop in the install CD and restart while holding down the "C" key.
    Go through the installer until you get to the part where there is one button left before installing. In that same window there is another button called "Custom Install" or something like that. Click that. Now you can choose not to install certain things. Like printer drivers or iLife and extra apps.

This will obviously delete your stuff. So backup or do an archive and install.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

pop in the install disc. restart so you boot from the disk, either hold down c while booting or open the disc on your desktop and click install OS X.

once you're booted from the disk you can delete your drive from within Disk Utility which is up in the tool bar.

after thats done, run the installer and you'll see a small bubble down at the bottom that lets you do a custom install. chose what you want and what you don't want. and there you go.

BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE THIS!.

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Pop-corn. You don't have to erase the hard drive before reinstalling.

5. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there really a lot of unnecessary stuff installed or do you all think I should just leave it as it is right now, I'm still pretty good with space (over 50GB unused). I figured if I'm not going to use something I should just not include it right?

6. Reaver macrumors 6502

I went thru and got rid of about 8 gigs of stuff like extra languages and my Garageband stuff which I will never use and printer drivers (I kept on the ones I will use). stuff like that adds up quick and takes up space so I got rid of it.