Custom Installation for Photoshop CS5 Extended

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys, not sure where i would make this thread but i figured theres alot of photoshop gurus in the macbook pro section.

im contemplating on taking up some fun photo/design classes for my last year in college so im deciding on whether or not to buy cs5 extended (amazon has a student deal for 200).

I downloaded the trial but was wondering if theres a way to ONLY install photoshop and not the other optional installs. Which ones do i really need and don't need? I don't need any of the sharing apps cause I was going to email the finished products if needed.

Im hoping that bridge/mediaplayer/air/etc isn't a required program

[​IMG]

thanks in advance! :)

2. eC1990ho macrumors member

Bridge is somewhat handy if you are using the whole adobe package.

what you certainly don't need:

ExtendScript (makes it easy to write automation scripts)
    Extension Manager (almost useless as it's created for dreamweaver or illustrator)
    Device Central (only used if you are working for a mobile platform)
    Adobe AIR (it usually installs itself when needed, so skip it for now)
    Adobe Media Player (get VLC :p)

What you would need:
    Adobe fonts, for basic ease of use

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

thanks for the in-depth answer! Most likely i won't ever use the whole CD suite (i wish i would though, ha!). So is it alright if i uncheck bridge if i'll only be using photoshop?

edit:
    i realized it doesnt even give me the option to uncheck bridge. hahaha.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

if I were you I wouldn't buy the software package right now. I say this because CS6 will be out by the end of the year and you can constantly restart your CS5.5 trial every 30 days without uninstalling, turning back your calendar, etc. Plus a trial gives you full access to there apps.

5. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

ah, i did not know that CS6's release date was so soon.do you think the price of CS5 will drop at least? Most likely I'll use only photoshop so I don't want to spend more money on things I wouldn't really use.

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Bridge is a rather useful bit of software. My workflow centers around it. It is a small installation cost in terms of size. Consider learning how to use Bridge, as it will likely make your life easier.