Custom Kernel

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ifrit05, May 30, 2016.

1. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

What benefits would I get if I compiled my own XNU kernel for my MacBook Pro (early 2011)?

I used to use hacked kernels back in the Tiger day's to run OS X on unsupported machines/CPU's.

I know OS X is not Linux but I have compiled Linux kernels in the past for different machines for specific tasks and such (low latency, different CPU scheduler, etc).

Just a thought. Not really serious about it at all really, just wanted to know what you guys thought.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It seems like a dandy learning exercise.

But as you've noted yourself, when you've compiled Linux kernels in the past, you've had specific tasks and goals to accomplish. General purpose computers being what they are, the number of potential tasks and goals folks here might suggest can be quite long, and many of those may not be pertinent to your interests or career. Why not formulate a test case based on what you know about your areas of interest that exercises those particular skills you need to hone?

3. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

You must have a lot of free time.

Decades ago I was taught the best way to learn something is to find a project that needs the new skill. Find something you need the new kernel for. If you are a coder for pay then doing so is what's known as a "bus driver's holiday."