Custom Keyboard Shortcuts not working

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mightee, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mightee macrumors member

I am trying to set up a keyboard shortcut in System Preferences for the Finder's new "New Folder with Selection" action. I want to map it to command-G, but it's not working. I don't have any other commands with that shortcut, and this is working perfectly on my MacBook. Just not on my iMac. Any ideas?

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

The reason it doesn't work is that the menu item for "New Folder with Selection" changes dynamically, depending on how many items you're trying to gather. For example, if you are trying to gather three items, the menu item will read:

"New Folder with Selection (3 items)"... and so on.

The keyboard shortcut needs to read *exactly* what the menu item dictates. You *could* set up multiple shortcuts (ie one for 3 items, one for 4 items and so on), but that's time consuming to say the least. I guess we're stuck with the built-in keyboard command.

3. Mightee thread starter macrumors member

I noticed that, and I got it to work just fine on my MacBook by entering several of them with varying numbers. I just can't get the same thing to happen on my iMac.

(Incidentally, that variation is really annoying. It would be nice to just say "(# Items)" and have the system fill in the number.)